New to Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closetbrewing

Reaction score
Hello all. I cooked my first batch on Saturday afternoon with my 14 year old son and all went well-I think so? I visited a local brew supply store and and talked with the owner and he told me to be very carful of kit instructions. He said that there is alot of bad or misleading info out there. So I guess the real question is what is a good book for a beginning brewer. I could also use some advice on extract kits that are one the lighter side. I'm not a big fan of heavy or dark beer. Oh did I forget to tell you this is not my first try at brewing. My brother and I tried about 25 years ogo and it was the worst tasting ____ you could think of. Thanks for your time and any advice is welcome

How to brew by Palmer. Great resource for new and experienced brewers. There is a free online version but its worth it to buy the actual book.

+1

That was my first brewing book. But I was lucky because I just happened upon it in the book store without doing any research.

Most kits advise transfer to a secondary fermenter to clear.Some see this as
unneeded.I leave mine in primary 2-3 weeks than keg.Unless I'm adding extras
(dry hop,fruit,nibs,vanilla).

Palmer's book is good. Papazian's is as well, although much of the process is dated. It's good for giving you the laid back angle on the process, though, and it's useful to get a few different takes on the procedures.

I thought brewing for dummies by marty nachel was pretty good, dave millers homebrewing guide informative, but the joy of homebrewing by papazian is a right of passage.

Definitely get John Palmer's How to Brew. It's also worth getting Jamil Zainasheff's Brewin Classic Styles for recipes for each of the BJCP style categories and some insight into the differences and techniques involved. And the recipe posted in this thread, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, is an excellent easy drinking beer that appeals to craft drinkers and BMC drinkers alike.

DocScott said:
How to brew by Palmer. Great resource for new and experienced brewers. There is a free online version but its worth it to buy the actual book.

+2
I was given this book when I purchased my first home brewing kit and I still reference it today over 200 brews later. It's a book you can grow with. It discusses the brewing basics but also has sections on all grain and mashing. Additionally the quick reference sheets for ABV according to your Original gravity and final gravity at very helpful. There are adjustment charts for wort samples at different temperatures as well. You will not be disappointed with this book. Good luck and may your future beers taste better than the one 25 years ago :)
Ryan Davis.

Hello all. I cooked my first batch on Saturday afternoon with my 14 year old son and all went well-I think so? I visited a local brew supply store and and talked with the owner and he told me to be very carful of kit instructions. He said that there is alot of bad or misleading info out there. So I guess the real question is what is a good book for a beginning brewer. I could also use some advice on extract kits that are one the lighter side. I'm not a big fan of heavy or dark beer. Oh did I forget to tell you this is not my first try at brewing. My brother and I tried about 25 years ogo and it was the worst tasting ____ you could think of. Thanks for your time and any advice is welcome

home brewing has come a long way in the last 25 years. even the last 10 years. getting a solid book, like How to Brew, and taking advice from the pros/semi-pros/enthusiast brewers will really make a difference in the outcome of your beer. check out Northern Brewer on the kits. you can search according to your personal tastes.

How to Brew for starters and the Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels after you get comfortable with the process, it took my brew to a new level...

Back