founders bolt cutter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatepickingnames

Reaction score
Picked up a case. Im not cracking one as its far to green for a 15% barleywine. Has anyone tried one? One of my favorite styles from one of my fav brewerys.

Hows the hop rate? Super hot? Malty?:drunk:

Picked up a case. Im not cracking one as its far to green for a 15% barleywine. Has anyone tried one? One of my favorite styles from one of my fav brewerys.

Hows the hop rate? Super hot? Malty?:drunk:

Where in God's name did you find a place that allowed you to buy a case? Most places have limits on something like this, though a local supermarket I just got mine at didn't. I hope you plan on sharing. :mug:

I had an 8oz pour at the Meanwhile. It was good, but it was pretty hot. Not my favorite barleywine at all, but I'm glad I tried it. Also, where did you buy a case? Did that cost you $200?

P.S... I hope they don't start doing all of their big beers only in large format. The 12oz bottles are always better buys. I won't be buying any more Bolt Cutter, as Backwoods Bastard is still available. Much better beer.

Thanks guys. Im glad i havent cracked one. Should improve with time. It was 270. I am sharing tho. The place i got it is more concerned with selling beer than anything else.

Just had one off the tap at Founders today at lunch! Not sure how the bottled version tastes, but off the tap it is very syrupy and very hot. No Hops to speak of. Slight malt but mostly candy sweet with the booze burn!

Just had one off the tap at Founders today at lunch! Not sure how the bottled version tastes, but off the tap it is very syrupy and very hot. No Hops to speak of. Slight malt but mostly candy sweet with the booze burn!

I'll be very curious to see how this mellows out with some age on it. I have no intention of cracking mine open until probably Christmastime 2013. I'd hope that would be long enough.

The bw i made tasted like what jp8 must taste when i racked it. Now ten months later its plenty tasty. Its 11% and 140 ibu. Time does them good.

I'll be very curious to see how this mellows out with some age on it. I have no intention of cracking mine open until probably Christmastime 2013. I'd hope that would be long enough.

Yeah, I dont know if they let it age at all before they serve it in the tap room. My guess would be no, since it just came out in stores too. It really does need some age on it.

It was bottled/kegged in July, so it does have some age on it. Not enough though for most any barleywine, and most certainly not one that is 15% ABV. A year from now though I expect to be wow'ed. Plus, I have a feeling they are holding a few kegs back for some more aging. I live about 10 minutes from the tap room so I'm looking forward to that day down the road when they announce its back on tap. If we're lucky a firkin or two might get rolled out eventually too.

It was bottled/kegged in July, so it does have some age on it. Not enough though for most any barleywine, and most certainly not one that is 15% ABV. A year from now though I expect to be wow'ed. Plus, I have a feeling they are holding a few kegs back for some more aging. I live about 10 minutes from the tap room so I'm looking forward to that day down the road when they announce its back on tap. If we're lucky a firkin or two might get rolled out eventually too.

I was there for the release at 11:00AM. The BC I had was a beautiful golden, it was one of the prettiest beers I've ever seen, no alcohol bite/hot taste at all. I was pumped to serve one from a bottle at Thanksgiving expecting it to be the same...... it wasn't even close. The color was muted, didn't sparkle, and was hot as hell. I have another in the fridge and two in the cellar. The cellar ones will stay till at least next Thanksgiving, I'm not sure what to do with the one in the fridge. Don't even suggest that I send it to you for disposal. ;)

Just picked up a bottle today. Honestly, I hadn't even heard of it until i saw it on the shelf. Wasn't sure about the $23 for the bottle, but I figured I've loved pretty much everything else Founders has done that this would probably be worth it.

Consensus here seems to be that it should be aged a while. Any updates or other tasting notes?

Glad I read this thread. I bought 2 bottles, and was going to try one young, and age one in the cellar. Sounds like I'd be better off sticking them both in the cellar.

Back