mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a barley crusher and it works great for me. I have also read good reviews on the monster mill 2. IMO any decent 2 roller mill should do the trick. The money saved buying bulk grains and the added element of control is an added bonus.

I bought a Corona-type mill for $23 delivered when I started brewing all-grain 3.5 years ago. Never looked back.

I haven't used it for beer yet, but I have the grain mill attachment for my kitchen aid mixer, and it works pretty well.

My MM2 is amazing. I got it delivered for about $15 more than the comparable price I saw for the BC. Granted, I did more research on the MM2 so the comparison price may not be entirely valid.

I've got both a Barley Crusher and a Monster Mill 2 2.0. The MM makes the BC look like a toy. As for performance, my BC's knurls are too worn to pull grain through anymore, but I did get around 9 years worth of use out of it - probably around 2500 lbs worth of grain milled. Just got the MM and it is a beast! Pretty sure it will last a lot longer than the BC - those 2" rollers pull everything through!

And I doubt you've been "all over the net", Wilber. There is tons of info around on mills, especially here at homebrewtalk...

I have a Gunnar Maltmill and love it. . I got it back when they were on eBay plus a cast aluminum grain scoop for $100.00.

I have the Barley Crusher and like it a lot. Used to have a corona mill and I would never go back if it hadn't been free. It was so much dustier, noisier, and took so much longer than the BC. Agreed with many comments here that any 2-roller mill would be great (think Ford/Chevy/Dodge truck argument). If you can afford a MM or BC go that route for sure.

I haven't used it for beer yet, but I have the grain mill attachment for my kitchen aid mixer, and it works pretty well.

We have had the big KA stand mixer for nearly 40 years. It's a horse, is used at least weekly for cooking and baking, and has gone through one switch replacement. However, I would not care to attempt to put 10-15 pounds of malt through that attachment unless I didn't care about replacing the motor.

I keep finding only two with rolllers, the cereal mill and the malt mill. Any others anybody knows about would be great. I doubt I've been all over the net too but I thought this forum was to inform fellow brewers. All I need is a good direction. I could spend weeks sifting through forum threads to find the info. Thanks to the ones giving great advance a helping out.

rico567 said:
We have had the big KA stand mixer for nearly 40 years. It's a horse, is used at least weekly for cooking and baking, and has gone through one switch replacement. However, I would not care to attempt to put 10-15 pounds of malt through that attachment unless I didn't care about replacing the motor.

Thanks, good to know. Maybe when I go AG I'll invest in a dedicated mill

I went with the rebel mill from rebel brewers after looking at the monster mill and the barley crusher. The barley crusher I heard were functional and the price was right, the monter mill once I equipped it with the hopper and everything I felt I needed to make the purchase the price was over $200. Then I saw the rebel mill and it came with everything the barley crusher did but appeared to have the strength you get with the monster mill, with a price falling in the middle of the other two. Of course this is my opinion and I do not have the vast years of experience of many on here, just giving you a snap shot of my thought process through the buying process.

I bought one of the first production runs of the Rebel Brewer Grain mill ( www.rebelbrewer.com ) So far I have put somewhere between 200-250#s of grain through it without a hick-up, I love it.

Latest posts

Back