Got your brisket brining yet!? (corned beef)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape Brewing

DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a really nice looking 6lb flat that will be going in the brine tonight.

Last year I brined for a week and actually had the brine not reach the dead center so I going a few extra days this year

Rinsing my bacon b4 I throw it on the smoker then heading down to the restaurant depot to pick up some brisket for corned beef and pastrami. Will be bringing by dinner :rockin:

I gotta bunch a stuff going.

i just took two different duck proscuittos and a pancetta out of the curing closet. I have 8lbs of ham hocks in a brine and will smoke them tomorrow. Eventually they'll go into some smoked pork rillettes.

I have one bacon already in the fridge (dry cured and smoked) and I have another belly that I am wet-curing (brining) for the first time. I've never tried brining bacon so I'm giving it a go.

I've got another pancetta started.

I have the brisket going in the brine tonight for corned beef.

What else... ahh... I made a gallon of white veal stock to go into some turines I'm planning on doing.

Smoked one this past weekend and it was amazing. Done this by using a pastrami rub in the past but it made it to salty. used nothing this time assuming the brine added enough flavor. cooked to 195 then foiled it with a boullion/cider vinegar base.

2012-03-04 14.05.27-1.jpg

I have one bacon already in the fridge (dry cured and smoked) and I have another belly that I am wet-curing (brining) for the first time. I've never tried brining bacon so I'm giving it a go.

Try injecting obliquely the belly until it has absorbed about 20% of it's weight in brine; that is, if it were 15-lbs inject until it has absorbs 17.5-lbs. If you inject it every couple of inches and then leave it in the brine overnight the brine goes process goes much, much quicker, and also reduces the possibility of brown spots.

Might I suggest a 6-month aged Monti Nebrodi style: a brine of fennel, oregano, vinegar, and crushed red chili? Don't forget the proper pink-stuff... nitrate!

You all are truly wizards of the meats. (Take that however you want :ban:)

I did a couple store-bought briskets pre-brined with a seasoning pack. Not as good as what you all are doing but still delicious.

Back