Big brew day ahead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalhomebrewer

Reaction score
I have a big brew day ahead of me. Going to try to fit in 3 brews in this afternnon (and probably night). On the ticket: Stone 15th anniversery EBIPA, Red Rye, and a Hef that I might add some dried heather tips to. Still debating on the heather though. :rockin::drunk::mug:

What are others making today?

That's a lot of work for a late afternoon start. Gunns be a long night,even with a good burner. We brewed our current 2nd batch 5 days ago,her Summer Shandy.

Not brewing buy was wondering how your brews went? A few months ago I did a double batch of pumpkin ale and I wished I had started earlier.

I got 2 of them done today. I would of starter earlier, but I have a mead going, this 15th anniversary clone, and another mead in the ticket so I decided to go get a setup to pump some oxygen into them. Good investment it seems, the airlock on the mead is bubbling off 2x as fast for the last 6 hours, and the 15th (with the starter) has started bubbling very nice after only 3 hours. My red rye is done and I just dumped the San Diego Super Strain in it. Did the math, between the mead, the cider, and my 2 batches of beer, I have 19 gallons of potential beverages brewing, and I'm still making my heather hef mañana; guess it makes up for the few months I had nothing going.

Nice brew day! I brewed my house pale ale X2 today. Made some crucial 1st time mistakes on go 1 but as of 7 tonight I got 5.5 gal of some soon to be good ol pale ale session beer.

Ps what are u using to pump o2 in your brew? I also must comment on your yeast. That stuff is the bomb I used it on a bells two hearted clone in dec. I think you will like it

I just bought a fish tank pump at my local petco (I bought the smallest one they made and it put out more then enough) and bought a in line air filter and extra air stones. You may want to find a way to weigh down the stone as mine wanted to float. I have heard 1 min is fine, but since it was a air pump and not pure O2 I went 2 min.

With the SD super strain, i used it on my red rye straight from the vial. At 6 hours in carboy i could see it starting to get some action going and after 12 hours had as vigorous fermentation as the my 15th anniversary that had a 2L starter.

Figured I would post an update. Finished the 3rd beer on Sunday afternoon without a hitch. Decided to go with the heather tips in the hef because, well, why not. I didnt get in to brewing to stick to the rules, as my friend say "I do what I want". lol. Cant wait for these to finish out a bit so I can take a gravity reading and take a taster.

:rockin:

Very nice my fellow San Diegan. I have 20 gallons fermenting right now too. That SD Super worked very well for me right out of the vial 4 batches ago.

Stay off the roads! It's raining in SD and we know what that means! :p

The most I've ever done is 3 batches in one day. Took about 12 hours and was pretty fun. I was pretty drunk by the end and almost had some mishaps.

Between my mead, cider's, and the 3 batches of beer I just made I have 22 gallons of varying amounts of alcohol fermenting.

As far as the rain goes, I try to stay off the roads. Dont get me wrong, I love the rain and am fine driving in it but there are some real *******'s in San Diego that freak out at the sight of their own windshild wiper spray. ugh

The most I've ever done is 3 batches in one day. Took about 12 hours and was pretty fun. I was pretty drunk by the end and almost had some mishaps.

I was going to attemp it, but I got a late start and I knew if I tried fitting in a 3rd batch I was going to be at it till 11pm or so, and after the 2 batches and it being 6 or so all I wanted was a good strong IPA, and then another, and another after that one. But there is nothing like the smell of a beer brewing at the crack of dawn, almost as good as a strong cup of coffee.:rockin:

Back