Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you trying to accomplish by using both?

Most people use one strain of yeast per batch because they can somewhat predict what the final product will taste like.

I'm thinking if you used an ale yeast and a wine yeast, nobody really knows what your final product would taste like. Sure it might be ok, but more than likely it will taste really weird.

so it's a bad idea?

No idea, honestly. I would think your results could vary greatly depending on which strain, if either, dominated, and to what extent they dominated. My guess would be that if you put that in a beer wort, the beer yeast would have the advantage, and likewise in a wine must, the wine yeast would have an advantage. But how much impact the less dominant strain would have on the finished prodcut? No friggin clue.

I was just being a smart-ass, really. :mug:

What are you trying to accomplish by using both?

Most people use one strain of yeast per batch because they can somewhat predict what the final product will taste like.

I'm thinking if you used an ale yeast and a wine yeast, nobody really knows what your final product would taste like. Sure it might be ok, but more than likely it will taste really weird.

Well i made a stout and i have used wine yeast, but now i've changed my mind, well, more had a thought. And i was just wondering if they'd be too affected by eachother...

I dont think the wine yeast would add anything beneficial to a beer that could be brewed with beer yeast.

I've used both wine yeast and beer yeast a the same time. Of course, they're in different carboys... and one had wine in it and the other beer. But they worked at the same time just fine. :D

Back