prefer them real or fake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

real or fake?

• real

• fake

• neither, I'm a grinch and I hate christmass

Results are only viewable after voting.

superjunior

Reaction score
...Christmass trees that is :) Way back when the wife and I would always get a real tree. I love the fresh pine smell and the natural beauty of a real tree. What I don't like is pine sap, pine needles and that time a short, sharp needle went right through my sock and buried itself in my foot. Nope, didn't like that one bit. So we got a fakey and have been using that the last few years. Its convenient. I leave the lights on, throw it in the closet and pull it out the following season. No fuss no muss but it just looks um...fake. I donno, we're talking about going back with real. So what do you guys prefer, real or fake?

I like real, it's probably more eco-friendly or pc to go fake, and it is certainly more convenient, but my family always went out into the woods a few days before Christmas and hunted a wild tree. The first year we did that my Dad came home with a cat spruce, and didn't realize the mistake until it was in the house a few days and had a chance to come up to room temp. :drunk:

Anyway, live trees are the tradition in my family, and what are holidays about if not tradition.

Merry Christmas:mug:

My mom is a hallmark ornament collector. She has a massive collection, and always had to have the perfect real tree to display them when we were growing up. Fake trees were basically considered sacrilege. This "real tree" thing was practically programmed into my brain, so I always insisted on a real tree.

Every year the wife would try to talk me into a fake one, but I'd absolutely refuse and use my raising with real trees as my defense. Then, like a square kick in the nuts, we show up at my mom's for Christmas a couple years ago and she now has a 9' tall FAKE EFFING TREE!

Guess what, now we do too. :(

I like real, it's probably more eco-friendly or pc to go fake, and it is certainly more convenient, but my family always went out into the woods a few days before Christmas and hunted a wild tree. The first year we did that my Dad came home with a cat spruce, and didn't realize the mistake until it was in the house a few days and had a chance to come up to room temp. :drunk:

Anyway, live trees are the tradition in my family, and what are holidays about if not tradition.

Merry Christmas:mug:

Actually, it can be argued that a real christmas tree is more eco friendly, sustainable, as well better for the economy that those fake petrol and metal, produced in china trees. Heres a good read on the subject from my alma mater (and actually my former college, Ag Science) Penn State: http://live.psu.edu/story/50160

Personally, our house growing up always had one real tree in the front window, and one fake in the game room. Since my wife and I bought my parents house, the tradition continues (although we bought our tree at Home Depot instead of going out to a farm to cut one ourselves like the parents used to do). It was actually the wifes first real christmas tree and she was more excited than a kid getting a new Wii.

This will definitely be a family tradition for years to come. Who knows, maybe if we are blessed enough to be able to raise a few children I'll force them to walk around in the woods for a couple hours in order to find the "perfect" tree...

I prefer my Festivus pole to be 100% Aluminum and Manufactured in Milwaukee

http://www.festivuspoles.com

My Christmas tree however, should be all natural. Unfortunately SWMBO is very alergic to them, so we have a fake one. We have found that the good quality (expensive) fakes do look better than the cheap ones.

I knew the thread title was a ruse but I clicked it anyway

just in case

Real. Until I can get my hands on one of those aluminum jobbers with the light wheel.

I have two "fake trees" a green one in the family room that we have had for years, (although a couple of times we would get a real one and not put up the fake one.) And now starting this year we are putting up our second tree in the living room. If you are not 55 years old or more you won't understand this, but I have a silver aluminum, rotating, color wheel, tree.

Oops! Can I change my vote? I voted before I read the question... I actually prefer FAKE TREES, not real ones. I used to be steadfastly dedicated to real trees until I saw one of them go up in a HUGE pillar of flame on a bonfire one year right after Christmas. I'm talking 30 foot torch coming out of the ground! The kids across the street at the township hall were all yelling about how cool that was.

I still appreciate real trees for what they are, but when you see how hot and fast a tree can burn, it changes everything. Plus they are so expensive anymore.

A volunteer fireman showed a video once of a tree they caught fire in a mobile home. Less than 45 seconds and the entire room was completely engulfed in flame. 45 seconds!! Kinda makes you think.

Oops! Can I change my vote? I voted before I read the question... I actually prefer FAKE TREES, not real ones. I used to be steadfastly dedicated to real trees until I saw one of them go up in a HUGE pillar of flame on a bonfire one year right after Christmas. I'm talking 30 foot torch coming out of the ground! The kids across the street at the township hall were all yelling about how cool that was.

I still appreciate real trees for what they are, but when you see how hot and fast a tree can burn, it changes everything. Plus they are so expensive anymore.

A volunteer fireman showed a video once of a tree they caught fire in a mobile home. Less than 45 seconds and the entire room was completely engulfed in flame. 45 seconds!! Kinda makes you think.

Definitely makes you think. Don't buy a trailer and live in it.

I prefer a real tree, but I just don't like the maintenance, and the mess of dealing with one. So we use a fake one. It was said before they are so much more convenient.

Fake, I always end up leaving the decorations up way too long and the mess would be horrible. I dealt with the pine needles and sap one year. Never again. I also don't use tinsel anymore, seems like its Christmas again by the time I get it out of the carpet, furniture, and all the other wacky places it manages to find its way into. Plus I have a cat that loves to eat the stuff then puke it up all over the house.

I wanted to use a palm tree, the wife said no. Fake.

I was very adamant about a real tree as a kid, but now that it's mine to take care of, we have 2 fake trees. A big white one in the living room and a small green one in the basement. My brother got a real one this year, and while it does smell good, him and his wife were already arguing the other day about who was supposed to water it.
Our white one is very non-traditional, but me and my wife are very non-traditional. We call it our Seus Tree.
Here's a washed out picture.
76431_902142187784_12306107_47988523_5737454_n.jpg

I have a fake one that looks very much real I just about shat my pants when SWMBO said this is the tree I want $300 later I was assembling it at home.

it looks great, PITA to box back up and set up getting each branch in the right position, it does lack that free tree smell, but at the same time I don't have to deal with needles on the floor, watering it, disposing of it, my son eating it etc.

maybe once my lil man gets older we will consider a real tree again, but for now Fake wins hands down.

I thought I had a photo of the whole tree, but I guess not

67111_1494449369805_1491205214_31101496_5335116_n.jpg

-=jason=-

I personally don't care much either way....but the SWMBO desires a real tree and so it is done.

When I was growing up, we would go to my grandmothers land and go get a real tree. So I've always preferred a real tree. But while I was in the military, I always came home around christmas time, if I was available (not on deployment) so one way or another, I never really had a christmas tree until after I got out. When that happened, I didn't exactly have immediate access to a real tree as my grandmothers land was quite a distance away, so I went and found a "cut your own" type place. When I got there, I quickly discovered that the cheapest trees they had were 4 foot - whatever - for $40. After the initial shock, I decided on what they were offering for around $55 and set off with my loaned bowsaw. Found the tree that I liked and went back to the front to pay for it. And wouldn't you know it, I picked the one tree in that area of a different breed(?), it wasn't supposed to be there and it now costs me $85. For a tree. That is now dead. And going to be thrown away in a few weeks.

I was upset.

So I now own a fake tree. Cost me $35 the day after christmas and is about 6 years old.

So I now own a fake tree. Cost me $35 the day after christmas and is about 6 years old.

Yeah real trees are insanely expensive. The first Christmas after I moved out of my parents house I bought a fake tree for $15 a few days before Christmas. It's not great, but I think it retailed for ~$40....so I was pretty happy :)

Real, I hate plasticy feeling things, altough we don't cut a tree. We just have a big douglas fir outside and put Chritmas lights on it.

Real! The SWMBO wants a fake one, but I refuse to have one in the house. So, we either cut one down in the yard, or we decorate one of the trees (house type trees) in out living room.

fake!

I hate real xmas trees so much. needles, watering, cat goes crazy, have to put your own lights on the thing, lugging it around, disposal, cost

Our tree was the nicest one they had at target, pre lit, purchased at the peak price time to do so 4 years ago.

Even though I could have saved a ton of money by waiting until January to buy it, I still don't regret dropping $250 on something that has saved me 4 years of hasseling with 80 dollar twigs

lots of good replies here. wife wants real, maybe next year.
merry christmass everyone :mug:

Back