Chill Haze Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any recommendations on removing chill haze besides the Irish moss deal. Fast boils vs slow boils, rapid cool downs, all grain vs extract. etc..., How do the breweries get such clear beer??!!!!!:mad:

Chill! Fast cooling of the wort after the boil. Give it a good swirl & let it settle before running it to the fermenter.

Use finings in the secondary, then drop the temperature of the clearing tank as close to freezing as you can and hold it there for two weeks.

Or filter, very cold.

Of course the other way to prevent chill haze is not to chill the beer before serving. This works very well for English style ales. :D

-a.

Crash cooling before kegging to works great, like edwort said. It helps to get the protiens and tanins out that cause chill haze.

Cheers

ajf said:
Of course the other way to prevent chill haze is not to chill the beer before serving. This works very well for English style ales. :D

Great EAC answer! WADAGO!:cross:

it would need to be served from a wooden cask, via beer engine to be a real english ale...:cross:

wop31 said:
Crash cooling before kegging to works great, like edwort said. It helps to get the protiens and tanins out that cause chill haze.

Cheers
More importantly, crash cool the beer right after the boil before fermentation even begins - that will cause a cold break to form (clumps of protein that contribute to chill haze). Once the proteins coagulate, they easily drop out of solution and wind up in the trub.

Cold condition! I had a chill haze problem when I bottled. Once I switched to kegs I would see chill haze the first week after I carbonated. By the second or third week my beers are as clear as any mircobrew sold. Stick some bottles in the refig. for 2 weeks and see if that won't clear them up.

Hey thanks for all the responses. I just finished an IPA and cooled it faster than ever before, I put the kettle in my sink and packed snow and water around it to form a slush. Dropped in my wort chiller and went for it. Boiling to pitch temperature in 4 minutes. :) I'll crash cool it in the secondary in 10 days or so. Thanks agian...

Latest posts

Back