what are your go-to malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prosper

Reaction score
For those of you who like to stockpile a good selection of malts and specialty grains at home, so you're able to brew (nearly) anything on a whim - what does your stockpile mainly consist of?

Right now, I've got sacks of Maris Otter, Weyermann Pils, Golden Promise, Rahr 2-row, dark munich and vienna for base malts.

For specialty malts I've got a fair amount of carapils, wheat malt, rye malt, honey malt, light crystal (c-30), carared (c-15), crystal (c-55), caramunich 50, dark crystal (c75), extra dark crystal (c-150), pale and regular chocolate, and black patent

I find I can make most of the styles I tend to brew a lot of with those ingredients

Seems like you have a good selection going...

I keep 2-row and Pilsner malt stocked always at least 50lbs...

Specialty... C-40 & 60 10lbs of each
5lbs of Chocolate, and some Carafa...

Munich Malt II and III around 10lbs of each.

I'm more about keeping Hops on hand as I can readily get my specialty grains local and my bulk from about 1hr away at a great brewery.

I just keep German base malts on hand because the brew shop charges an arm and a leg for them unless you buy a whole sack. American malt is so cheap at my LHBS there's no point for bulk storage, lucky me! All the Seattle people should know Larry's is where it's at.

briess 2 row, GP, weyerman belgian pils, vienna (some munich)

cara-10, 20, 45, 60, 90, 120, special "B", cara munich II. Cara red, Cara hell, carastan
Black patent, carafa I, II, melanoidin, white wheat, rye malt, victory, brown, honey
Flaked wheat.

GW Organic 2-Row
Gambrinus Pale
Carapils
Carastan 30/37-favorite
Crystal 40,60,80,120
Carafa II
Bairds Chocolate
Home-roasted biscuit

I feel that I can brew most of what I want with these grains. I do need to get some Pilsner though.

might sound odd, but besides 2row, I only keep C120 around in case of a quick addition, otherwise I order just my specialty grains or odd'n'end hops.

Me... I keep the following:

Base Malts:

Golden Promise
Maris Otter
US Pale
German Pilsner
German Pale Wheat

Specialties:

US Crystal 40L
US Crystal 80L
British Chocolate

Right now, I also have about 40# of a sack of Wiener Malz in my stock, but that was more or less experimental (used for a triple decoction).

I typically buy the base malts by the 50# or 25 kg sack; the specialties in 5# increments from my local.

Base Malts:
Great Western 2-Row
Great Western Pale Ale
English Pale Ale
German Pilsner

Kilned Malts:
Munich
Vienna
Victory
Biscuit
Aromatic
Special Roast

Crystal Malts:
Crystal 15
Crystal 35
Crystal 60
Crystal 75
Crystal 120
Crystal 150
Special B

Dark Malts:
Pale Chocolate
Chocolate
Black Patent
Roasted Barley
Carafa Special III

Other Odds and Ends:
CaraWheat
Chocolate Wheat
Melanoidin Malt

Almost everything I brew can be made with just 2 or 3 grains. As a result, I don't keep a vast inventory on hand at all times. This is it:

Briess or Rahr 2-row
Munich 10L
Malted wheat
Crystal 20, 40, 60, 120
Victory
Chocolate

From time to time I'll get some Vienna, Maris Otter, or some other specialty grain, but just enough for the recipe in question.

Domestic 2-row Pale
Maris Otter
Pilsner
Light Munich

Everything else I buy by the ounce at the LHBS. I just don't use enough specialty malts for them to stay fresh.

Back