First Lagers Please look over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HI_SALENITY

Reaction score
Ok , In the morning I am going to brew my first 2 Lagers.:D

1 is a Pilsner Urquell clone sg 1.050
and the other is a Budvar clone sg 1.042
Both are extract kits + yeast fuel and Irish moss

I have made a 1-1/2 liter starter for each and plan to brew with all spring water.

I will be using my Keggle for the first time so I am not sure how much water to start with I guess around 6 gallons ?

After my Wort has cooled to 75* I plan to pitch the Yeast and try to aerate with Oxygen and a new sanitized Aquarium Air stone (is this ok?)

after 12-36 hrs wen fermentation starts I will slowly cool it to 50-55 for 10 days .

After the 10 days I am going to bring the temp up to 60-70 for 2 days.

after the rest I will Rack both and dry hop The Pilsner and then lager both at 40* for 4 weeks then keg

I didn't go over the boil much because I think I have that part down ok But If you see ANYTHING I am doing wrong Pleas let me know

ok, this is all obviously just my opinions:

1. Dry hop when you keg, not when you lager
2. lager for 6 weeks instead of 4
3. lager at 32-34 instead of 40

again, just my opinions

Ok, colder and longer I'll buy that but why dry hop in the keg? It would seem to me if I did it in the secondary it will have a better chance to mellow out or do you think it will be too mellow ?

The recipe calls for 5 1/2 oz of Saaz hopps

Latest posts

Back