is it dead? The yeast that is....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmee

Reaction score
Well I finally got the supplies delayed for 5 days due to the hurricane (yes I feel bad bitching about not getting my things when seeing pics pics of LA and everything that was lost), and put the yeast in the fridge as soon as it got here(it was warm very warm). I made a starter, warmed the yeast back up, pitched the yeast and sealed it up with the airlock. After 24 hours there is no bubbling no foam (execpt for when I swilled it up) just slight pressure on the 3 piece airlock at 76 degrees. It is a white labs californian ale yeast (wlp001). Does the slight pressure mean it is working (well the few that are still viable) or is it a lost cause? I bought and extra vial at the LHBS, should I just pitch that into the starter?

Thanks

If it bubbles when you swirl it, then that means there's some activity going on. What gravity did you achieve when making the wort for the starter? I've heard that there's not much activity typically in starters. Is there a nice layer of yeast on the bottom?

there is a layer yes but doesn't look any different from what was in the vial. I didn't even get a SG readning for the wort (see I am a newbie).

nope, well I added the spare vial I had to the starter, now after 3 hours there is alot of activity and I have 20 min left on my boil for the IPA so it should get going quick.

Back