My apfelwein slowes, i repitched and it stopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxiderush

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of edwarts apfelwein in my carboy now. I noticed that after 2 weeks the airlock was going exceptionally slow, so i added in another packet of montrachet. It leveled off across the surface of the apfelwein, and then i gave the carboy a little wiggle. It went absolutely nuts, and almost blew all the vodka out of my airlock with all the co2 production. I went to bed hoping it would keep it up, But it dosent show 1/10th of the bubbles it had when i was first worried. Should i let it sit? Have i already reached my goal? Could they really have eaten all the sugar in the 5 gal batch in 2 weeks?

I searched, but got lost in the 496 pages of apfelwein information.

I have 5 gallons of edwarts apfelwein in my carboy now. I noticed that after 2 weeks the airlock was going exceptionally slow, so i added in another packet of montrachet. It leveled off across the surface of the apfelwein, and then i gave the carboy a little wiggle. It went absolutely nuts, and almost blew all the vodka out of my airlock with all the co2 production. I went to bed hoping it would keep it up, But it dosent show 1/10th of the bubbles it had when i was first worried. Should i let it sit? Have i already reached my goal? Could they really have eaten all the sugar in the 5 gal batch in 2 weeks?

if it went nuts right after you wiggled it, it was probably degassing. Not fermenting.

+1 on what ScottyT said

Forget about the damn bubbles! Apfelwein is so simple, it's nearly impossible to screw up.

1: Mix 5 gallons of apple juice with 2 lbs of corn sugar
2: Add a packet of yeast
3: Leave it alone for a month

That's it. The airlock doesn't have to bubble, because fermentation will be very slow after a week. After that, it's just a matter of waiting paitiently for the apfelwein to clear, which generally takes about a month.

dude... if you were doing EdWort's receipie to the letter (or close to it) (2# fermentable sugar, 5 gallons non sorbated apple juice, and montrachet yeast -
active primary fermentation is usually done in in 72 hours - usually you'll get activity within 12 hours of pitching - then comes 24 - 48 hours straight crazy fermentation (Montrachet is a vigorous but not explosive strain, and sometimes you'll miss seeing the vigorous stage all togeather due to work or sleep) then it just goes limp and bubbles a bit for the rest of the 4 week minimum primary stage as the Co2 outgasses and the Yeast settles out, and the remaining active yeast cells mop up the last of the sugar and bring it down to dryness.
so yes - most (not all) of the sugar in the must was already consumed at week one! and it's normal to see almost totaly non existant airlock activity at week 2. (this doesn't mean it's done and ready to bottle then, mind you -but, the important active part is pretty much finished...)

the second yeast pitch was probably not needed (but no harm most likely) - and the addition of this dry yeast (i'll bet you pitched it dry...) and the carboy swirl brought the Co2 out if suspension rapidly) to see what I mean, add a scoop of powdered gatorade mix to a freshly opened can or bottle of club soda and watch what happens (have a towel handy)

but, rest easy - you probably didn't hurt anything by doing what you did, other than waste a packet of montrachet and a bit of rotgut airlock vodka.(like as not the extra pitch will settle out with the rest of the spent yeast.)

I noticed with my cider it's very active for the first few weeks.

Then the airlock consistently bubbles slow up to a month.

Just because there is no airlock activity doesn't mean nothing is going on. Cider, beer, or wine.

The yeasties threw a little party in the cider and they need some time to clean (sometimes slower than other times, must have been a good party!)

yeah, i guess it will sit for another 2 weeks. The hydrometer was at 1.00 (i think) it's a pain in the ass beat up hydrometer.

Maybe the next two weeks will allow me to get the rest of my corny fittings, and i wont need to bottle at all:D

I started two batches on March 15th. They went as described-real active for the first week and now are down th the occaisional bubble. I am seeing the beginnings a a nice layer of lees settling to the bottom. This has been an interesting process to watch.

Back