Bottle Conditioning, Low Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
Last night, I had the first sample of a Red Ale I bottled over 2 weeks ago. To bottle, I used 1.25 cups of DME and placed the bottles in a warm-enough location. Last night, I put the bottle in my fridge about 3 hours before I drank it.

Three hours later, I opened the bottle. There was an audible phizzz . . . and clear indications of CO2 in the headspace. However, when I poured the beer, there was very little carbonation . . . none. No bubbles, no head. :confused: The beer tastes great otherwise, but it would be nicer with some sparkle.

Here is my thought process at this point. There is clearly a layer of yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle, so I assume that the yeast were still active. Temperature has to be warm enough to start some fermentation in the bottle. I've always used the same amount of DME for bottle conditioning, and I've always had great bubbles.

Any suggestions or thoughts on this? Would the very short chilling time be responsible for reduced carbonation? This doesn't seem to make sense.

:confused:

DME takes longer to work than corn sugar...I never even try my first one anymore less than 17 or 18 days before bottling, and they're never getting to an acceptable level for me until a month or so out.

El Pistolero said:
DME takes longer to work than corn sugar...I never even try my first one anymore less than 17 or 18 days before bottling, and they're never getting to an acceptable level for me until a month or so out.

WOW! For real? I knew that I was having a taste a little too early . . . but I always assumed that my bottles were carbonated well before I tried them. Ususally, I wait at least a month . . . but since I have no homebrew stocked, I am really anxious to drink them . . . too anxious, obviously.

So, I just need to wait longer . . . :(

sonvolt said:
WOW! For real?

So, I just need to wait longer . . . :(
Yep, for real...for me anyway. I should say tho that most of mine have sat in secondary for 3-4 weeks, so of course things are gonna happen a little slower.

So, yes wait longer, or drink flat beer. :(

flat beer is good, but el p is correct. :)
mine take usually a min of one month before they are carbonated correctly with dme.

How warm is "warm enough" ?

This winter's batchs are not carbed worth a darn, so I'm blaming the temp. I ferment inside. about 65-70f. But once bottled, they got outside at 50-65 most days...

I store the bottles at approx. 70 degrees. I know that the yeast has been active in the bottle, so I assume that it is warm enough; although, the lower temps may be a cause of slower fermentation.

casebrew said:
How warm is "warm enough" ?
At 50-60 it will take even longer to ferment...I'd guess twice as long but I don't know for sure. I keep a few at around 75, and those are ready a week or two quicker than the bulk of mine, which stay around 68 when it's cool out.

Back