Seems legit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link, I know its probably fake, and even if its real, growing from a seed will not yield the same plant as the parent plant, but it was cheap. I will report back in 2 years with results.

pm5k00 said:
Thanks for the link, I know its probably fake, and even if its real, growing from a seed will not yield the same plant as the parent plant, but it was cheap. I will report back in 2 years with results.

I really hope you are being sarcastic haha.... I was being HEAVILY sarcastic.. Read my last sentence on OP

No one has access to the Amarillo plant besides those three farmers. All hop varieties grown are female and on occasion will produce infertile male seeds. Never gonna work

GVH_Dan said:
Seed, but only 1. After that all rhizomes or other cuttings. A seed from the same parents wouldn't be exactly the same.

^^^ exactly. Thousands of seeds are grown and systematically eliminated

Just do not grow from seeds. Besides the fact that Amarillo is a registered and proprietary plant . You have no idea what you are getting , Male,Female. A cross between ? whatever . Please buy rhizomes or potted cuttings http://www.coloradoorganichops.com/?page_id=19 . I have 5 varieties . Arrowhead has more varieties,Dave Wills at freshhops has a dozen every year. Cheers Glen

I currently grow 6 varieties at home all starting from rhizomes. I really did buy those seeds but I don't honestly expect Amarillo from them. I am interested in seeing how they grow, since if started from seed they will be better suited to my soil than a rhizome would, lets just call it a science experiment.

Just watch carefully for males. They will pollinate all your other variety's. I have a $100.00 dollar bounty on males in my hop yard.

I am an idiot and did not study so much in plant biology, how can you tell if it is female/male? Lift their little buds?

You can identify the male plants by their little balls... No, really:

hopflowers.jpg

We never recommend growing from seeds. Like some of the others have suggested, even if it was an Amarillo seed (unlikely) it would not produce offspring that was the same as Amarillo. Also be warned, we had a grower give us some plants he started from seeds he bought on Ebay... One of the two seeds turned out to be a mulberry tree.

You're better off buying the whole plant instead of wasting your time with seeds or rhizome. It gives you a nice hearty plant out of the box. No point in waiting for your seeds or rhizomes to hopefully sprout when you can just buy the full plant outright!

We offer hop plants to growers year round:
http://www.greatlakeshops.com/shop-now.html

Back