Coppers diy lager no fizz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaaybeer

Reaction score
Hi first ever brew and I am sampling a bottle after following instructions to a tee. It has only been 5 days in the bottle but I was checking progress ( ahem). Not a dickie bird of fizz and it tastes slightly cidery. If that's a word. Any help from the mass of brains in here would be greatly appreciated thanks

You probably wont see/feel any fizz until about 2 weeks in. Assuming you followed all the instructions as you've said, just be patient, it'll come. They should be ready to drink about 3 weeks after bottling.

It's ok to sample a bottle early as a learning experience (I did when I first started), but now that you have done that you know why patience is required. Keep your mitts off them until they are ready :)

Cheers!

That's great to hear. Was very disappointed but kinda guessed as the bottle weren't very hard. Patience so thanks again

Most likley the first tip you got will prove to be correct! (Just wait a while longer)
However there are two other common causes of that exact problem with kits like Cooper ones:
1 Failure to add priming sugar to the empty bottles before filling them. Correct amount is half Teaspoon per litre.
2 Is failure to screw bottle tops on really tight. I like to squeeze PET bottles to expel all air before sealing tight. Then you give them a bit of a shake to mix the priming sugar well and you know any gap at the top of the bottles is CO2 which wont harm the brew.
Good luck when you open the Lager!!

Thanks did the carb drops and gave all a little shake too. Thanks for the advice too

The carb drops will take 4 weeks for the OS lager to be at it's best. 3 weeks is ok,but 4 weeks is def better. & one week fridge time to let chill haze settle out,& get co2 into solution decently. 2 weeks in the fridge gives thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.

With lagers you need more yeast than with ales ...I made this mistake with my first Lager...under pitched....wasn't enough yeast left to bottle condition after lagering for a few months

Could be that but give it more time

He got the Cooper's DIY kit which,like the older micro brew kit I got,came with their OS lager kit,which uses an 7g ale yeast packet. So it's really a light pale ale.

Thanks guys. Had help from my 4 y old daughter so one bottle got 3 carb drops. Gonna give that a whirl in a little while. As its my first batch I'm cutting myself some slack. Next batch I will definitely be more patient. : )

Back