Muslin Hop Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beutinbrew

Reaction score
I just brewed with a muslin hop bag for the first time and I was wondering if I can re-use it. The material soaked-up a lot of the wort and when I cleaned it out, there was a lot of little debris that was very difficult to clean out of the bag. I spent a good five or ten minutes on each bag soaking it in cold water and squeezing out the liquid, but I fear there is still some wort and debris in the bags. Can I re-use these or do I need to buy new ones each time? If so, are the nylon bags worth the investment?

Ya know, I'm brand new here, but I think I can answer that.

I read today that the nylon bags are what you reuse, and not the muslin. If I read that on this forum or not I cannot remember, but it did mention something about using the muslin bags 1-3 times.

I like the muslin bags, I cut them in half and put my two hop additions in them and toss the whole works in the trash when I am done, no more trying to rise green goop out of the nasty old nylon bags anymore.
Total cost is like $0.50 per 10g brew

Why would you even need to re-use one of those cheap bags. They cost all of $.40 at my local place and to clean would take more labor and water to rinse than they are worth.

Back