Can a grain mill for beer be used for flour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, she's wanting one of those high dollar, Nutrimills, but I don't think they do cracked grain. (She has no desire to hand crank ;-) )

Wyrmwood said:
Yeah, she's wanting one of those high dollar, Nutrimills, but I don't think they do cracked grain. (She has no desire to hand crank ;-) )

Buy a $20 plug in hand drill and call it good. Not really very pretty (which my be important for the SO) but functionally it meets both of your needs....

I'll be getting my wife a Nutrimill for Xmas, she makes all our bread and now she wants to make her own flour from whole wheat.

I'm not sure what you mean by "...don't think they do cracked grain." Here's a couple grain mill comparison charts, they all show that the Nutrimill will grind dry grains.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/article/1349?Args=/

http://pgward.org/ep/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/wheatgrindercompare.pdf

You could "compromise:" get her the nice flour mill and get yourself a $20-30 corona mill and DIY.

I'm not sure what you mean by "...don't think they do cracked grain." Here's a couple grain mill comparison charts, they all show that the Nutrimill will grind dry grains.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't want to grind my malted barley into flour. As far as I can tell, the nutrimill only does 'fine to course flour'. "Cracked grain" is a much higher level of courseness than flour, if I understand the terminology correctly.

Here's a guy trying unsuccessfully.

Those Nutrumills are so darn expensive I'm not sure it would be wise to run the typical brewing quantities of grain through one, last thing you want to do is to beat the piss out of wifey's new pricey flour mill...just my 2 cents FWIW.

I just ran 2 lbs of 2 row through the nutrimill last night to see what the outcome would be....flour.....so corona mill on the cheap for now. Love to get a CrankandStein but that will be a later day and I'm doing BIAB so I think a little more flour from the Corona will be ok...but I'm a newb so who knows lol

Latest posts

Back