Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheOnionKnight said:
My parents have a huge lime tree and I have actually been thinking about making a lime juice hefe. Do you guys think I might be able to incorporate this recipe with the home grown lime juice instead of the bottled stuff? I would have to pasteurize the juice too right?

One good thing about the Simply Limeade is that you know what you're getting every time. This is a good brew and you're going to want to repeat it which may be difficult if your limeade at home is inconsistent.

All that aside, if I had access to free and fresh limes I would give it a shot and take good notes!

Happy Brewing!

TheOnionKnight said:
My parents have a huge lime tree and I have actually been thinking about making a lime juice hefe. Do you guys think I might be able to incorporate this recipe with the home grown lime juice instead of the bottled stuff? I would have to pasteurize the juice too right?

The benefit of using limeade is that it's made in a controlled environment, which reduces exposure to foreign bacteria/yeast and it provides a consistent product....having said that you can scrub you limes in cold bleach water (tablespoon of bleach to 1 gallon of water) then juice (keeping the pulp) of 3 large limes, 1/3 cup of sugar and almost a quart of water (total recipe should make a quart) add more sugar if it needs to be sweeter, add more water if it's not a quart....hope this helps!

MMachi said:
I've been watching this one for a while and finally got it in my plan for a March brew. My LHBS doesn't stock either hop so I ordered online and await their arrival. This recipe looks crazy delicious and I'm excited to taste it, but worried it's not going to last very long as it sounds like a really tasty brew... I'll post results (and pics) when I get this moving.

I buy these hops in bulk from Hops Direct, you will save a fortune and have plenty to brew over and over again!

Ok so I've been wanting to brew this and finally got around to it, ordered my grains and when they came I brewed away...BUT...something seeming odd, I got a low SG of 1.035 which I was stumped because I hit all my temps and all went well. So I got to looking and noticed that I had shorted myself 4# of grain when I ordered and like a ******* I didn't check my grains to make sure I had everything and just dumped them in to the mashtun.

So anyways I didnt't short the wheat, just the 2-row, added a 1# of honey to up the sugar content and maybe sweeten it a bit, it's still fermenting fine but I think I might of just make a LL Lite beer. We shall see, smells good though.

Djanvk said:
Ok so I've been wanting to brew this and finally got around to it, ordered my grains and when they came I brewed away...BUT...something seeming odd, I got a low SG of 1.035 which I was stumped because I hit all my temps and all went well. So I got to looking and noticed that I had shorted myself 4# of grain when I ordered and like a ******* I didn't check my grains to make sure I had everything and just dumped them in to the mashtun.

So anyways I didnt't short the wheat, just the 2-row, added a 1# of honey to up the sugar content and maybe sweeten it a bit, it's still fermenting fine but I think I might of just make a LL Lite beer. We shall see, smells good though.

The best beers are made from mistakes! Let us know how it turns out!

I've been reading this thread and have been wanting to try a shandy recipe. Picked up a bottle of Simply Lemonade at the grocery this morning and will have to try this idea with some lemon zest in a test batch.

^^^ I was thinking of trying it with the simply ras. Lemonade. But the lime sounds great too. Tough choice

Slim-
First off, I'm not fully up to speed on brewer's etiquette. Would it be wrong of me to submit my two versions of YOUR recipe in a home brew comp? There's one coming up next month and I'm submitting my dunkel, my Irish Red and my SMaSH(there's special category for SMaSH's). I would also like to submit these brews (LLH and GFH) but it's not my recipe.

Secondly, I'm thinking of submitting them as 20 (Fruit beer) because the grapefruit and lime flavors really come out and out shine the standard hefe flavors. What's your take on the above?

Again, please forgive my lack of knowledge of brewer's etiquette.

Skagdog said:
Slim-
First off, I'm not fully up to speed on brewer's etiquette. Would it be wrong of me to submit my two versions of YOUR recipe in a home brew comp? There's one coming up next month and I'm submitting my dunkel, my Irish Red and my SMaSH(there's special category for SMaSH's). I would also like to submit these brews (LLH and GFH) but it's not my recipe.

Secondly, I'm thinking of submitting them as 20 (Fruit beer) because the grapefruit and lime flavors really come out and out shine the standard hefe flavors. What's your take on the above?

Again, please forgive my lack of knowledge of brewer's etiquette.

Go for it....I have people submit my recipes all the time, so I'm not offended!

L-L-H carb'ed nicely in my 16.9 Euro bottles.

image-517086569.jpg

I have been waiting patiently to try this one out. I have some sorachi and citra hops I will be using. I can't wait for sunday! Also, http://www.homebrewery.com/ has the sorachi hops and a good selection of others. I happen to live close by them. :)

I was just looking for a good here recipe with motueka. I've seen lots of people in this thread using just sorachi- but what about solely motueka?

The recipe looks awesome. I have both hops in the freezer, but want to save sorachi

I was just looking for a good here recipe with motueka. I've seen lots of people in this thread using just sorachi- but what about solely motueka?

The recipe looks awesome. I have both hops in the freezer, but want to save sorachi

Your the brewer...so go any road you choose to, but from my experience they both complement each other very well...as far as 100% Motueka, you could go that route, but Sorachi is the "Lemon Kick in the Ass Hop"...but try it and let us know how it turned out!

For those who are looking at brewing this beer, Northern Brewer has good prices on both hops in bulk quantity!

SD-SLIM said:
Your the brewer...so go any road you choose to, but from my experience they both complement each other very well...as far as 100% Motueka, you could go that route, but Sorachi is the "Lemon Kick in the Ass Hop"...but try it and let us know how it turned out!

It's only half an ounce of sorachi. What am I, some sort of hop teetotaler?

I'm thinking the other flavors in sorachi balance the fruit from the yeast and motueka. Looks like I'm cloning this to the T

JimTheHick said:
It's only half an ounce of sorachi. What am I, some sort of hop teetotaler?

I'm thinking the other flavors in sorachi balance the fruit from the yeast and motueka. Looks like I'm cloning this to the T

I think you will like it a lot...I just finished my next hefeweizen recipe, it's a blood orange recipe (which I post if the recipe turns out great), but this by far one of my favorite recipes to make! Happy Brewing!

SD-SLIM said:
I think you will like it a lot...I just finished my next hefeweizen recipe, it's a blood orange recipe (which I post if the recipe turns out great), but this by far one of my favorite recipes to make! Happy Brewing!

I couldn't get the hefe IV. went with the Bavarian 3068- how do you think that will affect the end result? Looks like more banana. I like banana.

JimTheHick said:
I couldn't get the hefe IV. went with the Bavarian 3068- how do you think that will affect the end result? Looks like more banana. I like banana.

Banana, clove and some other taste comes from 3068...I never tried brewing this beer with that yeast, so keep us in the loop!

SD-SLIM said:
Banana, clove and some other taste comes from 3068...I never tried brewing this beer with that yeast, so keep us in the loop!

Great news! I was worried you'd already compared and 3068 was crap. Will post back with my results.

I brewed a batch of this on sunday. I'll post pics and the modifications I made to the recipe in a few weeks

SLIM -

I plan on breweing this with a buddy this weekend. Got a couple questions for you.

What is your efficiency for this? Just looking to see if we should scale the grains or not. I generally get ~75%.

What is your water to grain ratio? Did you top up after mashing for a full boil?

I see you did a 45 min mash at 158. Do you fly sparge? I batch sparge. Do you recommend any changes for this?

Thanks.

joshstokes122 said:
SLIM -

I plan on breweing this with a buddy this weekend. Got a couple questions for you.

What is your efficiency for this? Just looking to see if we should scale the grains or not. I generally get ~75%.

What is your water to grain ratio? Did you top up after mashing for a full boil?

I see you did a 45 min mash at 158. Do you fly sparge? I batch sparge. Do you recommend any changes for this?

Thanks.

Hello...your efficiency is pretty close to mine, water to grain ratio is 1.5:1, I fly sparge but I would do whatever your comfortable with...good luck!

Was in the 80s today and I was cutting the lawn and decided it was a prime time to try out the beer. All of the banana notes are gone now and it is very tasty. Perfect hot-weather beer.

theveganbrewer said:
Was in the 80s today and I was cutting the lawn and decided it was a prime time to try out the beer. All of the banana notes are gone now and it is very tasty. Perfect hot-weather beer.

That's awesome, glad to hear this beer worked out for you!

Finally, after a month-plus of deliberation, I'm going to brew this beer soon. I bought the Sorachi Ace hops tonight and I have 5 oz of Motueka ready to go already.

Here's my issue: I can't do a full boil with my current brew pot (it maxes out at 5g, on a good day). What do you suggest I do? Will I get a similar final product if I top-off with 1.5g of water?

Err to the plus side on your hop additions ( less water= less hop utilization) and you'll be fine.

So the partial boil shouldn't effect the grains? I'm actually using the extract version of the recipe, as I'm not doing A-G yet. Is there a rule of thumb for upping the hop additions when it comes to doing a partial boil? (Say, another .5 oz for 1g top-off or something?)

RCBIV said:
So the partial boil shouldn't effect the grains? I'm actually using the extract version of the recipe, as I'm not doing A-G yet. Is there a rule of thumb for upping the hop additions when it comes to doing a partial boil? (Say, another .5 oz for 1g top-off or something?)

The extract from the steeping and sparge is not going to be amy different. As for hops, I don't really know of a rule, but it would be more important to increase the amounts that are in the bittering position ( the ones you boil the longest ). I have read about people suggesting a 50% increase but I think that's a little crazy... It's not going to be a huge difference. I would only increase the 60 min hops by maybe 25% ...that's just a guess.

RCBIV said:
Finally, after a month-plus of deliberation, I'm going to brew this beer soon. I bought the Sorachi Ace hops tonight and I have 5 oz of Motueka ready to go already.

Here's my issue: I can't do a full boil with my current brew pot (it maxes out at 5g, on a good day). What do you suggest I do? Will I get a similar final product if I top-off with 1.5g of water?

Since you are doing the extract version there will be very little difference, the only exception would be in the aroma....however you will still get a very close beer that most of us would be able to tell the difference from...my only word of caution using a small pot and doing extract is be careful in burring the extract!

Since you are doing the extract version there will be very little difference, the only exception would be in the aroma....however you will still get a very close beer that most of us would be able to tell the difference from...my only word of caution using a small pot and doing extract is be careful in burring the extract!

If the aroma is the issue, I can always readjust the hop schedule. What if I doubled everything? So .5 oz Motueka (60 and 20) and .5 oz Sorachi Ace (20 and 7)? Do you think I should add more zest, too?

I'm not too worried about burning the extract. I'm a PM brewer (never done straight extract) but I've actually had PM brews with more extract before and I was OK. My real concern, which you guys have squashed for me, was making this beer and then ruining it with top-off water.

RCBIV said:
If the aroma is the issue, I can always readjust the hop schedule. What if I doubled everything? So .5 oz Motueka (60 and 20) and .5 oz Sorachi Ace (20 and 7)? Do you think I should add more zest, too?

I'm not too worried about burning the extract. I'm a PM brewer (never done straight extract) but I've actually had PM brews with more extract before and I was OK. My real concern, which you guys have squashed for me, was making this beer and then ruining it with top-off water.

Your only talking about a gallon difference in the boil... Dont double. This is not heavily hopped and it would ruin the balance. If you were doing a IIPA, that would be different. Keep it as is and you'll be fine.

OK, I've finally nailed down my recipe and I'll be brewing this Friday. I haven't picked up my yeast yet, but hopefully I can get my hands on the IV. Also, I changed the hop schedule a little bit to try to hit Slim's original numbers better. Since I'm doing this all extract and also doing a partial boil, I didn't want the beer to be too bitter. As of now, I think the combo works.

I might not get what Slim brewed, but if it's a tasty beer, I'll be happy nonetheless.

RCBIV said:
OK, I've finally nailed down my recipe and I'll be brewing this Friday. I haven't picked up my yeast yet, but hopefully I can get my hands on the IV. Also, I changed the hop schedule a little bit to try to hit Slim's original numbers better. Since I'm doing this all extract and also doing a partial boil, I didn't want the beer to be too bitter. As of now, I think the combo works.

I might not get what Slim brewed, but if it's a tasty beer, I'll be happy nonetheless.

Careful with your hops...I agree with Brewskii, too much will be detrimental to this beer, you are better off keeping it at the same levels....however if you choose to adjust , watch the alpha acid levels of the Sorachi ace hops...if your not careful, you will take a hefeweizen and change it to a ipa...while ipa's are great beers, they will take the emphasis off of the other flavors.

Back