false bottom, dip tube, bazooka tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chezhed

Reaction score
Got an early present. A new boil kettle! Looking for input as to which method to restrict/stop cold break, hops, etc from plate chiller/fermenter. I have used hop bags in past but want to quit that and help reduce break material too. SI what are advantages and disadvantages or preferences?

Leaf generally in sacks and whirlpooling. Just seems like I leave a lot of wort.

From what I've read people have had good experiences using false bottoms with leaf hops, and the hops actually act as a filter for the break material. I've seen varying opinions on false bottoms with pellet hops. If you normally brew with leaf I'd go false bottom and be sure to use bags anytime you are using pellets.

I'd have a false bottom in my keg, but I use an immersion chiller and I'm not sure how it would fit in there with a center dip tube. And I can't drill low enough to put the pickup tube below the false bottom.

I do pellet hops directly in the boil. I have some stainless steel wool over the end of the dip tube. Between that and a vigorous whirpool I don't have much in the way of trub the leaves the kettle.

Back