Confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoke76

Reaction score
I bought a kit this week from my local hbs and it didn't come with instuctions. I've done other type of brews but not a Belgium Wheat.

1. It came with a bag of Spray malt extract. Do I boil this with the liquid extract for the duration of the brew?

2. It also came with .5 lb of Wheat Flakes. Same question. Do I put these in the mesh bag and boil the duration of the brew?

3. It lso came with a dry yeast. Do I pitch this in by itself or do I need to start it somehow? The yeast is Safbrew T-58 if that helps.

This brew is much more complicated than the single fermentayion I did 5 years ago. I really don't want to screw this up!

George

smoke76 said:
I bought a kit this week from my local hbs and it didn't come with instuctions. I've done other type of brews but not a Belgium Wheat.

1. It came with a bag of Spray malt extract. Do I boil this with the liquid extract for the duration of the brew?

2. It also came with .5 lb of Wheat Flakes. Same question. Do I put these in the mesh bag and boil the duration of the brew?

3. It lso came with a dry yeast. Do I pitch this in by itself or do I need to start it somehow? The yeast is Safbrew T-58 if that helps.

This brew is much more complicated than the single fermentayion I did 5 years ago. I really don't want to screw this up!

George

1. Yes

2. No. You don't want to boil them. Add them at the beginning, bring up to about 155-165 and let steep for about 30 minutes. Remove then bring water to a boil and add extract.

3. You can rehydrate it before pitching it by using cooled boiled water (search rehydrate) or you can just pitch it in once your wort is at the right temp. Take a look at www.howtobrew.com

You know, after I posted, I checked out the Wiki, and answered all my questions. Call it premature posting :eek: LOL. But thanks Veggie, I may still need help :D

Everything went great! (i hope) The primary is bubbling away. I had to get rid of the air lock since after about 2 hours of bubbling it was cloged with gunk! I've seen the pics of expoloding primaries and did not want to clean that up!

Wish me Luck!:tank:

g

good luck!
and congrats on a good brew session.
Read the wiki twice again. there is a ton of good info there!

Heres some Pics from the brew day
Steeping the Grains
pics088.jpg

Starting the Boil
pics093.jpg

OOOPPPPS! Not paing attention!
pics094.jpg

Relaxing and Waiting
pics095.jpg

Starting the spices (corriander and bitter orange)
pics096.jpg

Cooling the Wort. D*** hose blew off!
pics097.jpg

Well fermenting has commenced! I almost blew the kitchen up. The friggin air lock got clogged and started backing the pressure up in the bucket!. I had to rig up a blow off tube and everything is good!:rockin:

g

Latest posts

Back