Immersion Chiller w/ Electric Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgeebc

Reaction score
Is anyone using an immersion chiller or HERMS coil with an electric system? Do you do anything to prevent it from sitting right on the element?

I've got an IC right now, but I'm switching to a CFC in the electric rig. There's a thread or 2 about this here somewhere, but as I recall, some people have made legs on the IC to stand it off the bottom and over the element. Others have made the hook at the top of the IC so it hangs on the side of the kettle and holds it above the element.

some people have made legs on the IC to stand it off the bottom and over the element. Others have made the hook at the top of the IC so it hangs on the side of the kettle and holds it above the element.

Basically your options there. Support it from the bottom or suspend it at the top. You could also have the to posts at the top going through the keg wall with connections on the outside so it held it up high enough.

Here's how to keep a herms coil above the element. Not a popular choice, but i'd rather trash a lid than a pot. An immersion chiller just isn't a good option for electric. Trust me, it hurts to say that, as I despise counter flow and plate chillers. You just lose to much cooling area by suspending one above the element.

DSCN3038.jpg

My IC is also my Herms coil. I placed the coil on the bottom of the keg and then threaded the elements through the coil. 4 batches and it's fine. I circulate ice water through it when I cool the wort.

if you had too, you could mount your element vertically in the bottom of the vessel. then the coils could go all the way to the bottom. You would just have to be more cautious of exposing the heating element to air.

Back