Further Developing one's palate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilwaukeeBrewGuy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to be able to better pick out subtle flavors in beer. I have had many different styles of different beer but I was just wondering what tips you all could give on picking out these different flavors.

I think it would help refine our brewing techniques if we can actually pick out these subtle flavors that we may be missing.

Find a BJCP class and take it. You don't necessarily have to go through all the way to taking the exam if you don't want to be a judge. But you'll be doing a lot of guided tastings with experienced judges who will point stuff out. They even do a section on off flavors where the take a base beer (I think miller) and add certain things to it to mimic common off flavors.

Info, here- http://www.bjcp.org/index.php

If you want to play mad scientist, here is a list of how the BJCP recommends on doctoring beers to taste off flavors

guideline for doctoring beer

If at all possible, I HIGHLY recommend finding some sort of brew club. The club I joined in Cleveland had several National and Grand Master level judges. When I did the BJCP study group with them, it was like having a beer tasting Sensei. For me at least, I had to be told "that is oxidation" etc.

You can also order a kit that is a little more encompassing than the beer voodoo in the BJCP study guide. I think its through Seibel and costs around $120 for AHA members. If you organize a BJCP study group, prove you have a group meeting every week and have an exam scheduled, the BJCP will send you one for free.

No matter which way you go, you should only doctor light american lagers. We used Bud Light because thats what is available. I think they use Bud at Seibel. Miller High Life is a good one too. Basically, it should be as bland and flavorless as possible to let the off flavor "shine through".

Another thing you can do is buy commercial beers with known off flavors.

acetaldehyde - budweiser
oxidation - Anchor Steam (if you are on the East Coast), most imported Belgian beers, especially Duvel (unfortunately).
diacetyl - Red Hook beers (or so I'm told - I can't taste or smell diacetyl)
sour - lambics/flanders red (not an off flavor in these beers, but it will teach you what the flavor is)

I'm sure there are others can chime in with commercial beers that exhibit certain off flavors too.

Go to Discount Liquor on Oklahoma Ave. every week and pick out different beers every time (literally a different beer every time you drink one). Then force yourself to either discus the beer while sharing it with someone else, or physically write a review of it. I find that writing the review out forces you to really consider the flavors and define them.

While I value the BJCP and I think it is a good tool and resource, it will not develop your palate. Only a lot of drinking and consideration of what you like and don't like and why will do that. You should be able to drink any style of beer and determine if it is a good beer or not regardless of whether you like it, even if you don't know all the guidelines.

Living in Milwaukee is a great resource because you have easy access to a massive amount of beer.

great tip Revvy. Looking for classes now. I wonder how much they cost.

I paid $40 for the whole study group. It was just to cover the cost of beer. We tasted 8-10 beers ever session. (Not whole beers) They aren't really official classes per say. You don't look up a BJCP class and register for it. For example, when I was in Cleveland last year, about 20 people decided they wanted to take the exam. One of the judges in the club went through the steps to register a date for our exam and head up a study group. Anyone could come even if they didn't want to take the exam. I think we had ~30 people and met every week. I can never find it, but there is an outline on the BJCP site that suggests what a study course should cover every week. It includes a technical topic and a range of styles to taste.

Actually, in Milwaukee you can look up a BJCP class and take it. Check out the Beer Barons, they'll have your hook up.

Just emailed them 5 minutes ago.

Every one of these tips are awesome. Thanks for helping a brother out. Until i get into a class, I think i will buy some High Life and doctor it up a little.

Actually, in Milwaukee you can look up a BJCP class and take it. Check out the Beer Barons, they'll have your hook up.
hey, thats awesome! I just kind of assumed the classes weren't that readily available

While I value the BJCP and I think it is a good tool and resource, it will not develop your palate.

So tasting 8-10 beers every week for 2 months straight and spending ~10 min discussing every part of the beer with an extremely experienced judge, and several professional brewers isn't good enough?

What I liked about the group I participated in is that I tasted a LOT of beer with minimal investment. We tasted ~2-4 oz samples and usually got a little more once everyone got a sample. I would have spent a whole lot more than $40 if I bought all those beers on my own, and I wouldn't have gained the knowledge I got from some very experienced people.

I didn't mean any offense with my comments. But if you go into the BJCP course without much of a background, when you are done with it, IMHO, you still don't know that much. I haven't taken the course, but I have spoken and drank with a bunch of newish judges who did not have particularly widely developed palates. All I am saying is that the BJCP is not the end all. Taking a broad stance look at beer is good for you too. Try reading some of Michael Jackson's books. Just buy one and set it by the crapper, good reading that will get your mind going.

I didn't mean any offense with my comments. But if you go into the BJCP course without much of a background, when you are done with it, IMHO, you still don't know that much. I haven't taken the course, but I have spoken and drank with a bunch of newish judges who did not have particularly widely developed palates. All I am saying is that the BJCP is not the end all. Taking a broad stance look at beer is good for you too. Try reading some of Michael Jackson's books. Just buy one and set it by the crapper, good reading that will get your mind going.

Yea, I completely understand you now. Sorry I was being a little defensive. It was a great experience for me having brewed for 5 years and already familiar with tasting every style. I definitely gained a lot in the off flavor workshop and learned how to better put into words what I was tasting. I'm not sure it really broadened my palate. I tasted a lot of beers I have already had, and a lot of new ones I might have never considered. Overall, it was a very positive experience for me, but like you said, not the end all be all.

I looked at the BJCP website, and searched for south texas bjcp and I came up with nothing. Anyone know of anything in my area? Ill be in houston in about a month, but ill be willing to make a drive. Im the only person I know that has any interest in beer that isnt BMC. Something like this is just what im looking for... even if it might be way over my head.

Edit: nevermind, I forgot to search the threads on here. Found one that answers my question.

MilwBeerGuy - being a short time brewer, long time consumer, I agree with all of these suggestions. I think both the class and discussion will help you with your palate. If you surround yourself with well educated folks who have gone through the same thing you are looking for, it will educate you palate. I really like understanding why things taste the way they do and not just except that beer tastes a certain way because of "old hops" or "over exposure to light" etc. Charlie Bamforth's book "Beer - Tap into the Art and Science of Brewing" does a great job of explaining taste profiles (cause and effect).
I will be taking the Beer Barons classes this Fall in effort to become certified. So if you have signed up, I will see you there.

BTW (shameless plug) The Beer Barons are having the annual tasting event this weekend at the Schwabenhoff on Silver Spring in Meno. Falls. Saturday from 1pm-5pm $45 for admission and $65 for VIT.

I will be taking the Beer Barons classes this Fall in effort to become certified. So if you have signed up, I will see you there.

I am signed up also, so we will probably be taking it together. I just hope the second class of the tastings course does not fall during deer hunting season!

Back