Johnson Controls A419 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
Is the sensor on the Johnson Controls A419 water proof? I've read the manual and went to the Johnson Controls web site but I can't find the answer. I am using it for my keezer and I would like to have the sensor submerged in water so that the freezer doesn't start every time someone lifts the lid. But where the metal end of the sensor meets the plastic cable appears to be crimped and not water proofed.

I have mine through a hole in the lid of a yeast tube. The crimped area sits outside of the container so it's not immersed. 1+ years, no issues.

Other alternative would be to band or tape it to the side of the keg with some insulation on top.

i actually have mine just in the cooler itself. my freezer only kicks on a couple of minutes once an hour.

I think the idea of the end in a white labs tube is a common idea. I saw a few peoples ideas when i was building mine.

Good luck with your build.

I don't know the answer to your question, but my probe sits on top of a keg, so very near the top of the freezer and it doesn't cut on every time you open the lid. It only cuts on for a couple minutes every few hours. Cold air sinks, so it doesn't really rush out much when you open the lid.

Back