Party Beer Ready in Three Weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny5

Reaction score
Hey All,

So, my wife and I just decided to have a Bavarian outdoor themed party in three weeks and I'm wondering what people suggest would be the best German beers I could brew this weekend and have taste most presentable (on tap) for the party.

I'm thinking of brewing some combo of Kolsch, Hefeweizen and Dunkel. May be extract or all grain depending on the weather. Any input?

Of course, I normally like to go the distance with aging my brew, but a friend of mine has tapped beers for parties within 3 weeks and usually they taste pretty good.

Thanks!

John

Hey All,

So, my wife and I just decided to have a Bavarian outdoor themed party in three weeks and I'm wondering what people suggest would be the best German beers I could brew this weekend and have taste most presentable (on tap) for the party.

I'm thinking of brewing some combo of Kolsch, Hefeweizen and Dunkel. May be extract or all grain depending on the weather. Any input?

Of course, I normally like to go the distance with aging my brew, but a friend of mine has tapped beers for parties within 3 weeks and usually they taste pretty good.

Thanks!

John

If you're kegging, a Hefeweizen can be done in 3 weeks easily. A Dunkel can be squeezed in that time frame as well. The Kolsch requires a cool ferment temp and a lagering period though.

Aaaaaah. Thanks for the reply. I haven't brewed a kolsch in a while and forgot that was a kind of ale/lager hybrid and needed lagering.

I'll probably go hefe and dunkel then.

Mmmmm. I do like a good wit. I'll have to consider that -- even if it isn't German. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

If you're kegging, a Hefeweizen can be done in 3 weeks easily. A Dunkel can be squeezed in that time frame as well.

A Dunkel can only be squeezed in if you're talking dunkelweizen. A regular dunkel (dark German lager) cannot even be close to squeezed into 3 weeks.

However, the German wheat beers really are at their best if young & cloudy, so 3 weeks in just fine for a hefeweizen or dunkelweizen.

A Dunkel can only be squeezed in if you're talking dunkelweizen. A regular dunkel (dark German lager) cannot even be close to squeezed into 3 weeks.

However, the German wheat beers really are at their best if young & cloudy, so 3 weeks in just fine for a hefeweizen or dunkelweizen.

I was referring to Dunkelweizen not the lager.

It can be done no problem. Did it just last month with my Honey Orange Hefe... only had a fortnight to get it done and it turned out great. (I'll use "fortnight" any time I get the chance ^_^)

BM's Wit looks awesome, too. It's one I've been wanting to try

I'd stick with the Hefe's... I think you could do something else quick, however, if it were me I wouldnt want to serve green beer. However, I dont know why anyway would brew anything but hefe I love that stuff.

I've tried to rush brews before and the only ones that were worth it were the ones I kegged. Rushing + Bottling = No Good. So I'm with Clonefarmer, if you're kegging then the hefe in 3 weeks is easy.

I made a Munch Helles style beer not to long ago, but since I can't lager, I just used Nottingham and let it go at room temp. It was finished quick. It's kegged but not on tap yet, but the hydro sample tasted pretty good. I think I just used BM's Helles Belles recipe other than the yeast. Just throwin' it out there.

Back