No Lid For Brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoisufnoC

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready for a small brew day today of two 5 gal extract kits, and I can't find the lid to my brew pot. I'm fearing that it may have been thrown away accidentally on my last larger brew day. Can I brew without the lid? I assume I should be okay...right?

Anyone know of an online source that sells cheap lids for keggles and similar sized aluminum pots?

I don't even know where the lids for my brewpots are. Why would you need it? You definitely shouldn't be putting the lid on there during the boil.

the only time I like to cover my wort is when I'm chilling it, as that is when it gets into temperature ranges that can support microbial life.

Bringing mash water to temp and chilling I use mine. A pizza pan might work. I've seen some use foil when chilling.

the only time I like to cover my wort is when I'm chilling it, as that is when it gets into temperature ranges that can support microbial life.
Wouldn't that make it harder to release heat?

it probably does, but I just plunge the whole pot into a sink full of ice water, takes about 15 minutes and I dont have to worry about contamination from airborne bugs.

I don't have a lid for my brewpot. There is no need, and boiling with the lid on causes more problems anyway.

If you're having trouble reaching a boil, you might have to use a lid to bring the wort to boil, but after that you shouldn't use a lid. I don't use a lid while chilling either, since the steam should be released and not allowed to condensed on the lid and drip back into the boilpot. I boil indoors, though, so don't have stray leaves and bumblebees around my chilling wort, either!

I use my lids just bringing wort up to boil. When it reaches 200 degrees I take it off. It speeds up the boil.

After that its in the way. Usually upside down on my propane tank...(No rig yet)

Latest posts

Back