Keggle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
Is it illegal to use old kegs for keggles? The guy at my LHBS was very opinionated on the use of old kegs, saying the the authorities WILL prosecute. I don't know if he was just trying to scare me and get me to buy a system that he sells or not.

Just curious.

That's the thing, no you won't get in trouble, but unless it's a decommissioned keg you got from a distributor or something, yes it is illegal and unethical.

You'll have to check with the brewery who owns the keg. Or at least, that's the legal answer. Theoretically, all of my keggles are damaged since they have a giant hole in the top :D. Kegs that you buy at the scrap yard are OK, or ones that are obviously too battered for normal brewery use. Other than that, they are legally the property of the brewery.

How does a brewery track good and bad kegs? They don't. How would anyone know where the keg you have came from?

I've NEVER heard of anyone getting prosecuted over a keg.

On a side note I could have picked up 5 Coke 20# co2 tanks that a guy on CL was selling. Called Coke to see if I could get the deposit back at least .. they wouldn't take them back. Said that I don't have an account with Coke, so I'd have to find someone with an account. If Coke doesn't care about 20# co2 tanks, Budweiser isn't going to care about kegs.

Does the LHBS guy sell keggles... no
Does the LHBS guy sell expensive stainless boil kettles... yes

The LHBS guy is simply promoting his product and his wallet by bashing the alternative.

Does the LHBS guy sell keggles... no
Does the LHBS guy sell expensive stainless boil kettles... yes

The LHBS guy is simply promoting his product and his wallet by bashing the alternative.

My LHBS guy thinks keggles are god's gift to man.

The fact that he has a pyramid of them (all welded up) for sale at $90 a pop has NOTHING to do with his opinion.

:D

Is it illegal to use old kegs for keggles? The guy at my LHBS was very opinionated on the use of old kegs, saying the the authorities WILL prosecute. I don't know if he was just trying to scare me and get me to buy a system that he sells or not.

Just curious.

Having and modifying a keg is not illegal at all. Think of it like this, it is perfectly legal to mod a car..... as long as the car is yours. You purchased it from someone who is authorized to sell it as the rightful owner. A keg is the same thing. It is all about how you go about obtaining the keg in question.

Just curious.

My LHBS was selling a converted keg (keggle) in their store. I don't think they would have given you that speech.

Back