bottle options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
I've had my first homebrew batch sitting in the secondary fermenter for a few weeks now while I've traveled around on vacation and such, but I'm finally getting ready to bottle. That is, as soon as I get some bottles. I originally thought I needed pop top style bottles. That is, the type of bottles that require a bottle opener to remove the cap. But then I read that twist off bottles will work just fine. Is that true? If so, any advantage to using pop tops over twist offs? Do twist offs require a special cap? I can easily get a supply of twist offs for free vs. having to spend $$ on buying 40-50 pop tops. Thanks for the help.

I never had much luck with the twist offs. I used standard bottle caps, a nice bench capper and plenty of force. Once in a while a twist off bottle would make it into my pile and slip by me. I'd say 25-30% of them didn't seal and when you opened the beer, it was flat and off.

There must be a way to apply those caps though.

BTW if you want a supply of bottles just start buying beer of the non-twist off variety.

i bottle twist offs all the time with normal o2 barier caps and an emily winged capper. No problems as of yet....

You can't find good returnables? Not sure if you guys have returnables/refillables, but here in Michigan, I can get all I want for .10 each. Maybe go to the bars and ask if they will sell you their empties for cheap.

i try to stay away from twistoffs but occasionally a few will slip into my stockpile. i use a winged capper and the only difference is that it is harder to crimp it down and then pull hte bottle back out. it seals just fine.

I don't like twistoffs for aesthetic reasons. For that reason alone, I would never use them. I also discard other perfectly serviceable bottles because I don't like the shape of the bottle, for example the new non-twistoff Sierra Nevada, New Belgium bottles, Duvel, Satan Gold or Red, etc. I like the long neck shape.

Admittedly, aesthetics has no bearing on the suitability for bottling from a purely mechanical perspective. Some people use twistoffs and have success, others report failures due to fractures of the thinner glass or caps that don't seal completely.

Back