Bulk Drums of LME - How to keep fresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapaddict

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to purchase some drums of LME at about a dollar a pound. Problem is that you need to keep a CO2 or Nitrogen blanket in the container to ward off the evil bacteria and mold that would like to spoil your goodies. Anyone have any suggestions on a metod to do this? I thought of putting it in spare corny kegs but I hate to tie up that many of my fleet for that.

:confused:

I second the DME idea. DME is much more useful and produces better beer than LME.

a - CO2 or Nitrogen won't protect the LME against infection...it may be too concentrated to get infected, but I'm not sure. In any event, CO2 and Nitrogen won't do it.

b - There is no way to store LME such that it doesn't continually darken. That's another reason why DME is much better. You can come closer to making lighter colored beers that you can never make with LME.

I've got about half of a 30 lb jug of LME that I bought several months ago. I don't like it (beers seem to develop a tang after a few months, plus the whole thing with it being too damn dark to make a light colored beer.) I might use it to make starters, but I bought bulk DME and am just using that for my batches now.

Anyway, Mine has been sitting at a variety of temps for a while now, and it has not started growing hair or anything. It sould keep for you for a while.

-walker

$1 a pound is tough to ignore...can you freeze LME? Maybe in 1 gallon milk jugs?
Jeff

I don't see why you couldn't freeze it.

Yeah, I see your point... at $1/lb, that's hard to pass up. I think I paid about $1.80/lb (or so) for my bulk jug.

-walker

Jannx said:

"A CO2 or Nitrogen won't protect the LME against infection...it may be too concentrated to get infected, but I'm not sure. In any event, CO2 and Nitrogen won't do it."

Why would removing all of the oxygen not inhibit the growth of mold or bacteria? Since they both need oxygen to propigate, wouldn't removing it also minimize the risk of infection?

I have not been able to find as good of a deal on DME. $2.40 is as good as it gets right now on a 55# bag. That's for Muntons. I have not checked into any other manufacturetrs yet. That's why the LME was so attractive to me. $1.30 a pound for the 33# mini and $1.12 for the 176# mid sized drum really got my attention. A 655# drum is under $1 but more than I could possibly use. I still have a few more calls to make to see what I can do to knock that DME price down to a level I can live with. Any mid-michigan brewers out there interested in going in on a bulk buy????

I am thinking of picking up some bulk DME myself. Has anyone bought the 55# from Austin HB? I was wondering how that was packaged. Is it one big 55# bag or is cut down any?

never bought from Austin HB, but it looks like the brand is Briess. This is the same maltster that made the 50# bag that BOSTONBREWIN' and I split a few weeks ago.

Ours came in one large heavy paper bag lined with plastic/wax (like a big doogfood bag.)

-walker

Assuming the container was sanitized before it was filled,

You might want to get some cheap vodka and pour a layer of it over the LME.
Try some Everclear. at 190 proof, I don't think much will grow over it.

Greyhair

I'd get one of those gadgets they sell on the Home Shopping Network that sucks the air out of and seals plastic pouches. You can divide it up into smaller batches and vaccuum pack them.

Trapaddict said:
I used to have a much better use for Everclear than that but I can't remember exactly what it was since the last time I drank it
Kowboy Koolaid...1 part EC, 1 part grape soda. :)

You guys kill me sometimes. So is LME trash or what? I am about to spend $2.25 a pound on the stuff at morebeer.com, but now have second thoughts.??? DME is like $3.50 a pound, I know its better, cheaper and more fun than commercials but....

2nd Street Brewery said:
I am thinking of picking up some bulk DME myself. Has anyone bought the 55# from Austin HB? I was wondering how that was packaged. Is it one big 55# bag or is cut down any?
It comes in a large box. The DME is double-bagged. It's all I order, but I get mine from MidwestSupplies.com.:D

At $139.95 for 55# and about $18 for shipping comes out to @2.69/lb.:D

LME is not trash it's just that:

1) it looses it's freshness fast
2) it must be used quickly
3) it's HEAVY and costs alot to ship
4) bulky and harder to store
5) should be refridgerated after opening

DME is:

1) easy to store
2) light weight cost less to ship
3) doesn't go bad unless it gets wet
4) can be kept for a long time
5) takes up less space

You can't compare prices pound for pound because they are not equal. For example if you were to use them in a recipe:

1 large 3.5 lbs. can Liquid Malt Extract (LME) = 2.5 lbs. Dry Malt Extract (DME) about the size of a small sandwich baggie

:tank:

NEPABREWER said:
You guys kill me sometimes. So is LME trash or what? I am about to spend $2.25 a pound on the stuff at morebeer.com, but now have second thoughts.??? DME is like $3.50 a pound, I know its better, cheaper and more fun than commercials but....

I like the 6# containers of LME from Northern Brewer. You can have a few different styles of malt extract in a good quantity for a 5 gallon batch. If you get 8 at a time, the cost is under 3 bucks a pound shipped. You use them over the course of a few months, and they stay fresh. Saves a bundle compared to the LHBS prices. easy to deal with and good beer!

Back