Teamaker Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eightbt

Reaction score
So I was wandering around the internets trying to learn about alpha acids and beta acids. I get that AAs are what makes hops bitter, but I'm still unsure what beta acids are for. In my wanderings I came across something called "Teamaker Hops". It's supposed to be a type of hop that is low on AA (~1%) but high in BA, so you can make a hop tea without the bite.

My question is, where do I get some and has anyone tried using them as aroma hops/dry hops? I'm a bit skeptical on their existence since all of the pages that come up regarding Teamaker seem to be clones of the same news article.

Haven't heard of Teamaker, but there are certainly low-AA hops sold for making tea. Mainly used as a sleeping aid. With dozens of known hops available, I wouldn't bother trying to track down an unknown.

But, it's your beer.

I have a rhizome growing. Well, it grew last summer. Got very few cones. It is the 1st year. Not bitter or fragrant. I am going to use it as a late addition to an oatmeal stout this weekend.

When I was younger, perhaps 20 years ago, I used to purchase hops from a local health food store/coo-op. I am not sure what variety they were, but they were intended to be used in hop teas. In case you are not aware, hops have a calming effect and are often--or used to be, anyways--used as sleeping aids as a cup of hop tea has a tendency to make one sleepy/drowsy. They is also why they are used in "dream pillows".

I got my Teamaker from Freshops.com 2 years ago on a whim. I was buying hops and looking to get Alpha levels across the spectrum. I got a few cones last years but this year it grew to over 16'. I think I'll get at least 4 oz. Just finished drying it a week ago. Weighing and packaging yet to come.

The cones matured a bit earlier than my others. It had quite a bit more aphids on it than my big producers, High Alpha hops like NB and Nugget. So it does exist. The smell is very mild. My wife has promised some to her friends who love homeopathic stuff, since I said it would not be good for brewing. I will find something to use it in. I welcome ideas about how to use it.:mug:

Back