American IPA Lakefront IPA clone-ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just brewed this up and put it in my fermentation chamber! SG was 1.065...I tasted a sample...YUM!

Day 14, just took my first FG reading and got 1.017. Seems a bit high. Any suggestions?

I got 1.015 the last time, so I think that's right in the ballpark although higher than mine have finished.

I just dryhopped this today, an 8 gallon batch:

19 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 91.6 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.8 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.6 %
1.65 oz Chinook pellets [11.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 39.7 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade (Homegrown) [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 2.8 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade (Homegrown) [5.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #S-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7

1.50 oz Cascade (Homegrown) [5.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Chinook (Homegrown) [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

It's at 1.015, and not yet clear. I find that S05 just doesn't give me the clarity that yeast like S04 and Wyeast 1335 do. The English strains drop clear quickly but it seems like any S05/WLP001/Wyeast 1056 beers I make take a lot longer to clear up.

The hydrometer sample was promising! I love that 3 ounces of the dryhops were from my own garden, as well as 3 ounces of cascades in the boil.

This beer turned out great. Brewed the extract version at 1.064 OG, ended at 1.012 FG. I dry hopped in the primary, didn't get around to bottling for quite a while so dry hopping took somewhere around an entire month. Beer has a great taste from the hops, could use more carbonation though, I'm gonna wait another week before starting to gulp it down like crazy.

I just opened one of these and it's EXCELLENT! So good! Will absolutely brewing this as a staple in my house. Thanks Yooper!

My SG: 1.065
My FG: 1.017
Carbed for 4 weeks or so and put in the fridge for 2 days

LOVE IT!

Enjoying one of the last bottles of this now. Flash makes this look quite darked than it really is and I'm too lazy to take a better picture.

Anyway, as my brother is going to get married my parents thought it was time to meet his fiancé's family for the Jewish Shavu'ot holiday dinner a few days ago. So I brought some bottles with me which were quickly emptied. Funny thing is, the fiancé's grandmother (well over 70) drank a whole bottle by herself and quickly found herself high as a kite. That was funny.

20120529_211016.jpg

I have made this twice now and am wondering how to get it closer to the original? I feel that this is very good but has ended up not as thin as lakefronts version and maybe not as dry. Is this anyone elses experience or is this my process at fault? I have mashed low at 151 both times and used s-04 would s-05 do a bit better?

I have made this twice now and am wondering how to get it closer to the original? I feel that this is very good but has ended up not as thin as lakefronts version and maybe not as dry. Is this anyone elses experience or is this my process at fault? I have mashed low at 151 both times and used s-04 would s-05 do a bit better?

Definitely try a "cleaner" more attenuative yeast. If you can get Wyeast's "pacman" yeast that would be even better. S05 would work, or WLP001. Mash at 149, going 75 minutes, if you still have a too high FG with mashing at 151.

I haven't been able to get Pacman yeast, ever. Would Wyeast 1098 or 1056 be a good yeast alternative for this recipe?

Also, I would actually prefer a higher gravity, lower alcohol IPA. Would I achieve this with a mash temperature of 156°F or even 158°?

I haven't been able to get Pacman yeast, ever. Would Wyeast 1098 or 1056 be a good yeast alternative for this recipe?

Also, I would actually prefer a higher gravity, lower alcohol IPA. Would I achieve this with a mash temperature of 156°F or even 158°?

1056 would work fine.

If you mash that high, you may have a very very high Fg, and a very sweet cloying finish. If you want a lower alcohol IPA, I'd decrease the grainbill.

Yooper said:
Someone on the forums posted the recipe from the brewmaster, but for the full brewery size. I scaled it down, and brewed it a couple of times. I had to sub some hops, as I used chinook for bittering and the original recipe called for columbus.

I never tried it head-to-head, as Lakefront is hard to get for me here, but it's a great beer and I think you'll love it as much as we do!

12 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.07 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.36 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %

1.25 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 43.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook (homegrown) [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

I was fortunate to have lots of homegrown hops for this recipe, but of course commercial hops could be used interchangably with the homegrown. The chinook in the dryhopping is awesome- bigger citrus with a resiny backnote that combined with the simcoe and cascade is a beautiful hoppy experience.

This is on tap again at our house. Bob (the former non-hophead) upon sampling it again, said "THIS is what I'm talking about! We need this on tap all of the time!".

Extract version:
9 pounds DME
.50 pound crystal 20L
.50 pound crystal 40L
Steep grains in bag for 20 minutes, then remove and bring to a boil. Add 1/2 the DME, and begin hopping as the schedule above. With 15 minutes left in the boil, add the rest of the DME, whisking well to dissolve. Add the rest of the hops as the recipe indicates.

PM version:
6 lbs Light Dry Extract
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
Mash the grains in 6 quarts of water at 150-155 degrees. Make sure the grain is "loose" in the bag, so you can thoroughly wet the grains throughout. Keep at 150-155 for 45 minutes, and then lift out the grains and put them in a strainer over the brewpot. Sparge by pouring 170 degree water over the grains until you reach your boil volume. Discard grains. Bring pot up to a boil, and add 1/2 of the DME. Hop as above. With 15 minutes left in the boil, add the rest of the DME, whisking well to dissolve. Add the rest of the hops at the time indicated in the recipe above.

Sounds great!!!! Lakefront IPA may be my favorite beer. I just started home brewing so I'll have to give this try.

Cheers!!!!

I'm drinking this now. And it's really good. I haven't had Lakefront in a long time, so I don't know if it's cloned or not. But it's really really good!

I used Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast 1450) in one 5-gallon fermenter, and Wyeast 1335 (British Ale II) in the other. Both are great, but I like the Denny's better. I fermented at 66 degrees.

Looks like a great recipe Yooper! I grew my own hops from rhizomes for the first time this year and was fortunate enough to be rewarded with a small harvest. I am thinking about using your base PM recipe for this one and play around with the hop schedule a bit. I ended up with slightly over 4 oz. (4.1 oz. to be exact) of dried and packaged hops.....better than I expected for first years, but certainly not enough for a big hop bomb IPA. I have 2.6 oz. of Chinook, 1.2 oz. of Cascade, and only .3 oz of Columbus. I'm torn.....should I just use home growns and make a less hoppy version of your recipe or should I supplement with store purchased hops? My initial plan was to go all home grown and use whatever I got out of the harvest, but with this mix of hops and the odd quantities, I'm torn. What would Yooper do?

I plan on brewing this weekend and would like to accomplish three 5 gallon batches, which should make for a long, busy brew day. I recently finished building my dual fermentation chambers and want to give them a workout. I plan to do the IPA, an american amber (fat tire inspired), and my first stab at a lager (unsure of style at this point). All will be PM's, as my AG HERMS system and basement brewery are still in the works. Wish me luck! :mug:

Brewed a 5 gallon batch this weekend using partial mash this weekend. Hit 1.063 and it's been fermenting like crazy. Used S-05 and a swamp cooler. Went a little overboard on the bittering hops accidents. Used 2 ounces instead of 1.25 and it came in at 83 IBU. Oops.

image-3224576290.jpg

image-3123156006.jpg

image-2012730439.jpg

image-556425561.jpg

image-2415380432.jpg

What would Yooper do?

I'd probably use commercial hops for the bittering addition, and then use every single bit of my homegrown hops for 15/10/5/0/dryhop additions!

Maybe like this:
Bittering hops 60 minutes
1 oz chinook 15
.3 oz columbus 10 minutes
.6 oz cascade 5 minutes
.6 oz chinook 0 minute

Dryhop 1 oz chinook and .6 oz cascade

I'd increase the 5 minute addition if you could scrounge up some more cascade for the dryhopping. But that would be ok as well.

Sounds great......I'm going to follow your advice and use commercial for the bittering and reserve the home growns for the late additions and dry hop. Thanks a million! I'll let you know how it turns out. :mug:

Just brewed this one today. Used a whole bunch of homegrown cascades for the aroma additions. Have more homegrown cascade for dry hopping along with the chinook and simcoe. I can't wait to give it a try!

Just started dry hopping the extract version of this recipe, i used chinook and citra since thats all i had .Cant wait to start drinking it hydro sample was really tasty ,thanks for another good recipe yooper!

hope it's not too late to resurrect this thread, I just got into home brewing a few months ago and I really want to brew Lakefront IPA after reading this thread and the other one with the original recipe from years ago I have some questions...Checking on Lakefront's website and their "sell sheet" for IPA says they use: Zeus, Cascade, Chinook and Citra (https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=...ery.com/files/sell-sheets/LFSellSheet_IPA.pdf)

Just curious how that would fit in or alter this recipe(original post on this thread)

THANKS!

I brewed this 9 days ago, used WLP041 Pacific Ale yeast and fermentation took off like crazy. I fermented at 60 degrees ambient for 3 days then moved to about 68, maybe a little too early but doubt there'll be any hot alcohol or excessive esters. OG was 1.074, checked gravity today and it's at 1.016, the sample tasted great! Still some yeast in suspension so I'm hoping it'll drop a little closer to 1.012 in the next week. I'll post results once it's ready. Thanks for the recipe!

I would be interested in brewing this up, but my local supplier doesn't seem to have both crystal 20 and 40. They have 40, 60, 80, and 120. I know that the 20 is lighter. Do you think this brew would be affected greatly with 1lb of crystal 40 only? I am thinking of doing the extract or partial mash brew. I also noticed that the partial recipe uses more of the crystal 20 than the AG or extract. Is there a reason for this?

bottled this last night. i followed the recipe from the first page...it tasted pretty good, didn't have a huge nose aroma but maybe that'll come after a few weeks in the bottle. i can't wait to drink it carbed and cold!

Just brewed this on Saturday. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Will check back in once I get it in the keg.

Wow, I don't what happened with my brew. I just brewed this up and had an OG of about 1.09 at 5 gallons. I pretty much just kept adding water until I got to about 1.08, and now there's probably around 5.5 gallons in the fermenter. Any idea as to how my readings were so high? Is it possible it was just because of all the hop matter floating around?

Went on the Lakefront tour this past week. For anyone trying to most closely imitate the original, the tour guide told me they use White Labs yeast.

I brewed Yooper's MiniMash Lakefront-ish recipe and it's by far the best beer I've made out of 20 or so batches. I finally got an IPA to taste hoppy and dry instead of the sweet, malty beers that keep coming out of my kitchen. I used 2 lbs of sugar (replacing 2 pounds of dme) to 'dry out' the beer and boy did it work. Almost too much, actually, as my ABV shot up to 8.5%. But it's delicious. I also accidentally added an extra ounce of hops towards the end of the boil, and I'm so glad I did. I finally got the hops/malt balance to where I want it. In the past my IPAs have not been very hoppy at all, and I think I might not be getting the hop efficiency I am supposed to, given that I'm doing partial boils.

Which leads me to this post. I'm going to try this recipe again but hope to keep the hops/malt balance correct while not going quite so far on the ABV. So I'm reducing the sugar to 1 lb instead of the 2 pounds I used last time. I've now got 4 pounds of DME and 1 pound of sugar and an ABV of 7%. Everything else stays pretty much the same.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? My overall goal is to keep the hops/malt balance that I loved from the first recipe but cut back the ABV a little.

Posting the new recipe here:

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Lakefront IPA PM (Jason's 2nd try)
Brewer: Jason Moore
Asst Brewer: Ray Drew
Style: American IPA
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.67 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.38 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 8.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.0 IBUs
Estimated FG: 1.013
Estimated ABV: 7.0%
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 93.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 32.4 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.1 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.4 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 16.2 %
1.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 39.1 IBUs
2 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract [Boil for 15 min](8.0 Dry Extract 6 27.0 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 6.6 IBUs
1 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) [Boil for 15 min] Sugar 8 10.8 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 2.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 11 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 5.31 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.52gal, 1.33gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need some advice guys - about a month out from brewing a 10 gallon batch of this all-grain...gravity sitting around 1.022 : ( ...taste is predominately sweet/malty, but the harsh resinous chinook seems to bring a bit of balance. Trying to troubleshoot why my FG is so high...mash temp was on point, 75% efficiency, smooth brew day. Fermented around 68F with two packets of US-04 thrown in.

Worth adding another packet of yeast or should I just accept it for what it is? Was really looking forward to this turning out.

I'm not that experienced, but I'm monitoring this thread since I've got a question posted here too. I suppose rousing the yeast isn't possible b/c you must be fermenting in a big ol' conical fermenter or something? Good luck with this. I love this recipe. I added table sugar to my first attempt b/c I'm always ending up too malty with my stovetop mini mash brews. Came out great, fermented allll they way down... but at 8.5%...strong.

If it's any consolation, I just froze five gallons of an awesome Caldera IPA clone after cold-crashing in a non temp controlled freezer. So yeah... that happened.

Update: I did my first All-Grain batch (2.5 gallons) using this recipe, and I'm drinking it now: it's the best beer I've ever brewed. What a great recipe. Yooper, thanks so much for posting this, and thanks everyone on this thread for weighing in. Yum!:)

Brewed this at the beginning of October. Had an OG of 1.07 and s-04 finished it at 1.016 in about two weeks. Dry hopped for a week and got 49 bottles. Finished product is fantastic and the hops are perfectly balanced. This is easily my best IPA to date.

Has anyone brewed this with falconer's flight and cascade as late additions ?
What would be a good bittering hop for Falconers flight , in this recipe.

Back