How often do you stir your mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seabee John

Swing the BIG hammer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've only done one AG brew, and I was reading up a bit and have seen some who have built Mash tuns with motorized stir set ups. Got me thinking, my temps were off a bit, my efficiency was a little low. How does stirring effect the mash. should you stir constantly, or just every once and a while? what do all of you do?

Ditto ..... halfway through I give a good stir with my spoon. I also use my thermometer probe and stir around when I am checking the temp. I don't know if it matters, but it makes me feel like I am doing something. -Dirk

I do it once per step and three times during lautering. I stir during steps, because I use steam to raise mash temps, so stirring prevents the grain that's in contact with the manifold from scorching and mixes things up so I get the next temp right. One stir right before vorlaughing (sp?). Then two stirs amongst the 3 batch sparges. That makes for a lot of vorloffing (I'll never be able to spell that right:) ) but that's more fun than standing around watching the pot boil anyways. Effeciency has been between 82% and 87%.

I stir at mash in and every 15 minutes thereafter. I let it sit for about 5 minutes before draining the tun.

I stir at dough in and then recirculate. When I was doing it in my Coleman tun I stirred twice.

Twice, like mad at dough in and about 20 mins into the mash I give it a good stir. I usually mash for around 45 mins. And again after adding batch sparge water.

Once at dough in, once about 15-20 min into the mash.
I am a batch sparger so one more time after I add my sparge water.

You might say that I don't stir at all. I stir at dough in, and before draining. Again when I add my sparge water, then again for a second batch sparge. (I do this to get an accurate amount into the boil kettle while leaving very little in the mash tun)

I tried stirring mid way through and didn't think it made any difference other than making the temperature drop more than it would have by not stirring.

Back