Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mathin

Reaction score
I'm working on an Irish Stout recipe ... shooting for something like Beamish. Here's what I've put together based on some research on various forums:

Volume: 10.00 Gallons

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.044
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.011
Estimated Alcohol% (ABV): 4.30
Estimated Bitterness (IBU): 32
CO2 Level (vols): 2.00

2 Row 15.00 lbs
Chocolate 1.00 lbs
Malted Wheat 1.50 lbs
Roasted Barley 1.50 lbs

Mash at 152 degrees for 60.00 minutes
Mash out at 170 degrees for 10.00 minutes

East Kent Goldings (5.80%) 3.00 oz Boil for 60.00 min
East Kent Goldings (5.80%) 1.00 oz Add at knockout

ROGUE Pacman (75.00% ) 2.00 pkg

I'm considering doing the bittering hop addition as FWH.

If weather cooperates (I live in rainy Seattle), the plan is to brew on Dec 22.

Feedback appreciated!

Dan.

For my house stout (an Irish extra) I do one single bittering hop addition. According to the books, there shouldn't be any hop flavor or aroma additions but this is homebrewing so it's of course up to your preference!

Also, to me flaked barely is a key ingredient for dry stouts and would recommend it over the wheat.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll sub in the flaked barley for the wheat. On the late hopping, I'm going to do some research on a few pints of Beamish and decide only after thoroughly investigating the aroma :)

mathin said:
Thanks for the feedback. I'll sub in the flaked barley for the wheat. On the late hopping, I'm going to do some research on a few pints of Beamish and decide only after thoroughly investigating the aroma :)

Ah, the burdens we homebrewers must endure!

Thought I'd post an update. The brew day went well. Decided not to do the late hop addition. Also went with a 5 gal batch since this was my first attempt.

I can't seem to find Beamish anywhere so can't do a comparison but I like the beer. It finished higher than I expected (1.018) but I had better efficiency than I predicted so still ended up with about 4.6%.

Nice chocolatey and roasty flavors. I will likely make this one again.

Back