Plate Chiller=Yes, IC=Never Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pale Horse

Reaction score
I used my Duda Diesel 30 plate chiller yesterday for the first time and absolutely love it. I brewed 3 batches (20 gallons total) yesterday and the 10 gallon batch was cooled from boiling to 70F in less than 10 mins.

I was pretty worried about it getting clogged since it was the first time I used one, but I just ran my pump into my paint strainer for the last 20 mins and then whirlpooled the last 10 which hopefully filtered out alot of debris.

Anyway, I never had much luck with the IC so its going into retirement.:rockin:

Plate chillers and ICs both depend on the size and the volume. I have a 3/8" 50' IC that will chill 6 gallons from boiling to 75 in 5-6 minutes flat.
One of my friends bought a plate chiller from that same vendor, and I have to say, it will do an awesome job. With our larger system (55 gallons), the plate chiller does the job by itself in one pass. We can go directly from BK to fermenter. The last time we had to use ICs, we used my IC and another one designed by Jamil Z, and once we figured out to run the output back into the pre-chiller, it also worked fantastic. We were tearing through bags of ice until I measured the output at 52. If you ever get a big system, you will want to engineer your cooling carefully. 50 gallons of boiling wort has a lot of thermal mass.

The Pale Horse,

I know how you feel. Just tested my new 20 plate Duda Diesel chiller and, during my test today, chilled 210 F water down to 64 F in less than 10 minutes.

I plan on using my hop spider to help limit the hop sludge passing thru it.

Can't wait to start brewing with it!

Starderup said:
Plate chillers and ICs both depend on the size and the volume. I have a 3/8" 50' IC that will chill 6 gallons from boiling to 75 in 5-6 minutes flat.

I know a lot of brewers that have had a ton of success with IC, but I just couldn't seem to get good results from it.

I'm just happy to have an alternative that works for me.

Back