RTD Placement for RIMS Tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew52

Reaction score
Ok Everyone, I have been reading many many threads, but I can't seem to find one that explains the best placement for the RTD in the electric RIMS system that I am building. My pump will be below my mash tun and then pump up into the bottom of my rims tube with the element on the top and then flow out of the top of the rims tube back to the top of the grain bed. My question is does the RTD go immediately at the mash tun exit, at the rims tube entrance, or at the rims tube exit? I think I've seen all three locations used so can someone explain to me the best location and why? Thanks:confused:

I think you want your element on the bottom of the RIMS tube, next to the inlet. Then you have the temp probe at the exit from the tube.

The element has to stay covered by wort at all times, or it blows. You could have an air pocket in your tube blow the element if it is at the top.

There are a lot of 'tops' in your original post. I'm not sure what you mean by this:

My pump will be below my mash tun (Ok)

and then pump up into the bottom of my rims tube with the element on the top (are you saying the tube is oriented in a vertical position with the element connections on the bottom and the element pointed up towards the top of the tube? I think a picture here would be worth a thousand words)

and then flow out of the top of the rims tube (If I get this right, you're pumping into a vertical tube where the element connections are on the bottom, with an inlet in the middle of the tube, and the outlet at the top of the tube.)

back to the top of the grain bed. (Ok)

I can't speak for most people, but my tube is horizontal with the wort coming in on the left hand side where the element is screwed in. The wort then runs the length of the pipe, heating is it moves along it. At the outlet tee I have a temperature probe to read the wort temp. If the objective is to not overshoot the temperature then that's where I'll read it. Just before it exits the tube.

DSC00885.jpg

Temp probe on the far right.

Great responses from both of you. It looks like I will have to redesign my rims tube based on your responses. Here are the pics of my current design. It was planned to use in a vertical position. The ball valve on top is my flow control, the vertical ball valve on the bottom is meant to be closed after mashing and then open the ball valve on the bottom right to pump over to the boil kettle (entire system will be hard plumbed-CIP). Thanks for your input and I like your RIMS tube design (very nice!) I think I will use your PVC design to cover my element wires if you don't mind. Thanks again.

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2040.JPG

OK. Based on the two responses above, here is my RIMS Tube redesigned with the element on the bottom. I actually like this design better anyway. I was not comfortable placing the RTD that close to the end of the element and I also needed the extra length on top anyway to "stand off" from the keggle. The bulk head fitting from Brewers Hardware will mount into the side of the keggle. Please note that none of the parts pictured are actually tightened or welded (it's just a layout) the RTD most likely will not hang down as shown. Thanks again for your input I'm very happy with the results. Any additional comments before I take it to production?This is a great website overflowing with information.

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

My rims tube is vertical, element on the bottom pointing up, rtd on the outlet on top. A vertical design ensures that the air pockets rise up and out the top of the tube, keeping the element wet, unless you get a stuck mash. I think there are quite a few running them vertical on this forum.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm definately going vertical with my RIMS Tube system and will definately have the element at the bottom. My new keggles are on the way from SABCO this week. Can't wait to get started with my dream system! Cheers!

Back