over did it on the dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hough77

Reaction score
I have Ferocious IPA from Midwest kegged right now and carbed up. After dry hopping from the instructions, I went and threw an ounce of Amarillo 10% AA in the mix (because I love Amarillo hops) and I have a very dry and bitter after taste, I now know I screwed up and over did it, but can I do anything to make it smooth and easier to drink at this point.

The bitterness isnt from the dry hop addition. You have to steep or boil them to get that alpha acid out. Its probably just a humungously bitter IPA.

How long has it been since you brewed it? How long since the CO2 has been introduced? Sounds young/green, newly carbed and harsh at this point. Give it time.

Boil:
1 oz. Warrior 60 mins
Blend 1oz. Amarillo 1 oz. Citra, add 1/5 of 2 oz. @ 20-15-10-5-0 left in boil
Dry hop 3 oz. - Ahtanum, Amarillo, Simcoe leaf for 1 week = 82 IBU'S
Then racked on 1 oz. Of Amarillo in a carboy just for fun.
7 oz. Of hops!

samc said:
How long has it been since you brewed it? How long since the CO2 has been introduced? Sounds young/green, newly carbed and harsh at this point. Give it time.

Brewed on 6/23
Kegged on 7/25
Gas @ 30 psi for 48 hrs then serving psi @ about 3
I cold crashed it for 2 days before kegging

You have a big, bitter 82 IBU beer. That's not likely going to go away. The late additions and dry hopping is giving it flavor and aroma. I would suggest sending it to me and brewing a new batch in the 40-50 IBU range.

amingo said:
You have a big, bitter 82 IBU beer. That's not likely going to go away. The late additions and dry hopping is giving it flavor and aroma. I would suggest sending it to me and brewing a new batch in the 40-50 IBU range.

Lol, I'll keep tasting it and see if it mellows, its not THAT bad, I will finish the keg, it smells great and initial gulp is good, just the after taste is dry.

I agree it's likely not the the dry hopping. I'm assuming you used fairly standard yeast on it. WLP 530 can make delicious (IMO) Belgo-American IPAs but it definitely leaves a 'dry after taste'.

Otherwise you might want to look into bittering hops other than Warrior...or lowering your bittering addition. I mean the thing was called 'Ferocious IPA'. :p

You could brew something complementary that's light on the bitterness and blend the two btw...

I saw they have an extract w/ steeping grains kit and an AG kit. Which did you have? It's possible the mash temp was low if it was AG, or it's possible that the dryness you're tasting is astringency from the steep or sparge. How hot did the water get if you steeped?

Just another possible way you're getting the dry aftertaste. As stated, yeast is another likely culprit.

Extract version, steeping never went above 164.
I used 2 packets of US-05 rehydrated since it was a higher OG. Over pitched?

Extract version, steeping never went above 164.
I used 2 packets of US-05 rehydrated since it was a higher OG. Over pitched?

Nahh you just made yourself an IPA. Are you a fan of commercial examples? US-05 will attenuate quite well and dry the beer out. That combined with the high IBU's will do it. If you don't like it, I'd be glad to take it off your hands, sounds tasty.

kpr121 said:
Nahh you just made yourself an IPA. Are you a fan of commercial examples? US-05 will attenuate quite well and dry the beer out. That combined with the high IBU's will do it. If you don't like it, I'd be glad to take it off your hands, sounds tasty.

90 min IPA
Stone IPA
Sierra Nevada pail ale

beerandloathinginaustin said:
I'll have one of my parents meet hough77 somewhere in Illinois. From there we'll disperse this demon juice accordingly.

I'm in Lockport, keg in the garage fridge, try some samples.
I have a friend who loves IPA's, he is coming from out of town this weekend, ill see what he thinks.

Plug your nose and then taste it.

It will allow you to taste the bittering addition without tasting the late added aroma additions.

Dry hop flavor will be the first to disappear with age.

The "Ferocious IPA" is a clone of the Surly Furious, a craft beer from Minneapolis. It is always going to be bitter, with 80-100 IBU. I doubt your dryhopping caused it to be harsh. Give it a couple more weeks in the bottle and taste it again.

I made a similar recipe, but with more crystal malt (and CaraMunich). The extra caramel sweetness helped balance the hop bitterness, so you could try that in the future. I just added the dry hops to my current batch yesterday, and I actually cut back on the crystal but included 3 lbs of Munich to hopefully finish dryer, but still malty.

What was the mash temp? You mention "dry". That could be from hops but also from a lower mash temp IMHO. I am still working on my house IPA, and I LOVE the big hop nose. I have found mashing higher, in the the 156-158 range leaves a maltier/sweeter finish rather than a drier finish I get when mashing at 150-152. Just a thought.

Alan

zeno27 said:
The "Ferocious IPA" is a clone of the Surly Furious, a craft beer from Minneapolis. It is always going to be bitter, with 80-100 IBU. I doubt your dryhopping caused it to be harsh. Give it a couple more weeks in the bottle and taste it again.

I made a similar recipe, but with more crystal malt (and CaraMunich). The extra caramel sweetness helped balance the hop bitterness, so you could try that in the future. I just added the dry hops to my current batch yesterday, and I actually cut back on the crystal but included 3 lbs of Munich to hopefully finish dryer, but still malty.

I'll have to try that, make it sweeter. Thanx.

Gilbey said:
What was the mash temp? You mention "dry". That could be from hops but also from a lower mash temp IMHO. I am still working on my house IPA, and I LOVE the big hop nose. I have found mashing higher, in the the 156-158 range leaves a maltier/sweeter finish rather than a drier finish I get when mashing at 150-152. Just a thought.

Alan

No mashing, just steeping.

This beer turned out amazing after a week in the cold keg, my wife even loved it and she doesnt like IPA'S. I guess I wasn't really paying attention to the IBUS from the start. Thanx to all! P.S. the beer is gone :p

I agree it's likely not the the dry hopping. I'm assuming you used fairly standard yeast on it. WLP 530 can make delicious (IMO) Belgo-American IPAs but it definitely leaves a 'dry after taste'.

Otherwise you might want to look into bittering hops other than Warrior...or lowering your bittering addition. I mean the thing was called 'Ferocious IPA'. :p

You could brew something complementary that's light on the bitterness and blend the two btw...

If you keep tasting it enough then your problem will go away in about 5gal time... Yes... 5gal is now a measure of time:tank:

Latest posts

Back