Wort Chiller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoundersBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just purchased a new wort chiller, and it says to boil it in psw to remove any oils. Does anyone know what this is or of any other product that would work to do an initial cleaning?

Never heard of PSW. Maybe PBW? Never heard of boiling PBW, though.

PBW, or Oxiclean are the usual suspects for this sort of thing. Regular soap and water will work in a pinch, just make sure you rinse thoroughly.

I don't know what PSW is,You probably mean (PBW) Powdered Brewery Wash? It's available everywhere home brew stuff is sold. Oxyclean is used as a cheaper substitute by a lot of people as well.

TSP (trisodium phosphate) is a cleaner that is usually used to clean drywall before painting. The book that comes with the Brewer's Best kit suggests using a mixture of bleach and TSP to clean your bottles. I got some from the hardware store and it seems to work ok. I eventually ended up switching to oxiclean free and now my TSP is just sitting under the sink unused.

.....and TSP that's sold now is NOT trisodium phosphate. Not sure what's in it now, but the "phosphate" part had to go.

The way I understand it PBW is essentially a combo of the active ingredient in Oxyclean and sodium metasilicate which is TSP-90 at a ratio of 70 oxy 30 tsp
use only TSP-90 as it is 100% sodium metasilicate

Back