Cream / Sweet Stout Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoel

Reaction score
Working on developing a cream stout recipe. This is a 5.5 gal PM batch. Not sure about the yeast yet. I think Wyeast 1272 at low temps would be nice but also thinking of a more traditional British yeast. I love Munich malt but will this be cloying?

Amount Item
3.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM)
3.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
1.50 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Nugget [12.20 %] (60 min)
0.50 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM)

Hey Joel sounds good. I live in Whittier too!! I have a Chocolate Honey stout brewing right now!!! How long do you plan to ferment?

I'm thinking about leaving it on the yeast for 3-4 weeks. If I can wait that long.

Sweet! We should do a brew swap!

Do you need a base malt in there for the wheat malt? I know the Munich will convert itself if you do a partial mash, but I think you may need 1.5 lbs of Marris Otter or another base malt to convert the wheat. You'd therefore have to cut back on the extract as a result.

I've always thought that the reason for adding base grains with wheat is for the mash thickness. Wheat can be goopy and thick thus you want to add base grains to break up the mash a bit and make it easier to sparge the mash. I could be wrong though, anyone else have an opinion.

And any opinions on the taste of the brew?

I don't think the small amount of wheat used here would be enough to stick anything, but I assume that he's not anything like that since this seems to be an extract brew.

I was thinking you could do a partial mash with your grains and some 2-row to provide the enzymes needed to convert the wheat, then top up the water to your boil mark and add the LME at the boil.

Pale LME would likely be better, too, compared to amber.

I think it'll make a nice beer. I made a Sweet Stout that I just bottled a few weeks ago... I used the 1099 Whitbread Ale yeast, and it seemed to work really well.

Whoops, sorry, you're the OP! So, obviously you ARE doing a partial mash (I missed the PM part in your post).

I don't have a lot of experience with Sweet Stouts (unfortunately... they're pretty great!), so I'm not sure about all the Munich. I doubt it's going to give you a bad beer, though.

I'll be curious to see how it turns out for you.

FWIW, I would avoid mashing your chocolate, barley, and crystal, and use them as steeping grains. Mash your wheat and munich together.

I suggest this because I have recently made an AG sweet stout converted from an Extract recipe that I love, and the roasted grains I think dropped the pH of the mash too far, and it came out quite bitter, although the aging of the brew is making a big difference, it really isn't necessary to mash grains that have no diastatic power and need not be converted.

I think it will help keep the sweet in your sweet stout, but thats just my .02.

Latest posts

Back