Converting Extracts/PM to AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie3

Reaction score
I finally went and purchased a turkey fryer and larger pots for doing AG batches.

I have a bunch of Extract and PM recipes that I would like to convert over to AG.

1) Is there a general rule of thumb when doing the weight conversions?
2) How do I know what type of mash process to use? Currently I've only done single infusion batch sparges.

Much thanks.

Jamie

currently im using brew target as its more intuitive and handles unit conversions on the fly.

is this possible in brewtarget?

I don't know about the software, but generally speaking conversions are really easy.

Think of "basic" grain this way:

1 pound grain = .75 pound LME = .6 pound DME

All specialty grains would remain.

So, if you have a recipe like this to start with:

4 pounds DME
1 pound crystal 60L

Your new recipe would be:
7 pounds Two-row
1 pound crystal 60L.

In extract recipes using dark LME, that conversion isn't as good because the darker extracts have other grains already in them, like crystal malt.

The other thing that might change is your hopping rates, particularly if you were doing less than a 5 gallon boil before. The hops utilization would change, so you may need to adjust the hopping.

Almost all recipes would be fine with a single infusion mash.

I don't know about the software, but generally speaking conversions are really easy.

Think of "basic" grain this way:

1 pound grain = .75 pound LME = .6 pound DME

All specialty grains would remain.

So, if you have a recipe like this to start with:

4 pounds DME
1 pound crystal 60L

Your new recipe would be:
7 pounds Two-row
1 pound crystal 60L.

In extract recipes using dark LME, that conversion isn't as good because the darker extracts have other grains already in them, like crystal malt.

The other thing that might change is your hopping rates, particularly if you were doing less than a 5 gallon boil before. The hops utilization would change, so you may need to adjust the hopping.

Almost all recipes would be fine with a single infusion mash.

excellent. thank you!

I don't mean this in a snotty way or anything, but the more you can read the better. I've been brewing for over 10 years and since I have a terminal case of ICRS (I can't remember squat) I'm always going back and rereading stuff. Start on the library now. I must have 20 or so books and a whole stack of magazines just for this.

And I to can recommend Beersmith, very easy program to work with.

Back