Propane Rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jma99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
She don't like, she don't like, she don't like,..... PROPANE

2nd time this has happened to me. I buy an exchange tank at the gas station, and the gas won't flow!!

Now I have to lug it back for another one.

Any idea why this happens? The tank weighs out as full.......But no flow!

You got me there, I have never had a problem with tanks. But I normally get them at Walmart. It is closer to my house, only reason. That sucks dude!

As you open the valve on your propane bottle, very very gently just crack it open, then slowly advance the knob until it's fully open.

Sometimes the safety valve inside will restrict the flow if it is opened too much at once.

My BBQ does this occasionally. In my case, it is the screw-on connector to the propane tank itself. If unscrew it and then screw it back in, it works for me. It only happens when I first hook up the tank. I think it might be a pressure valve or something.

My BBQ does this occasionally. In my case, it is the screw-on connector to the propane tank itself. If unscrew it and then screw it back in, it works for me. It only happens when I first hook up the tank. I think it might be a pressure valve or something.

Yep. Also - if you leave the external valve open after your last brew BEFORE you open the tank valve, this will also cause the tank to not flow.

Yep. Also - if you leave the external valve open after your last brew BEFORE you open the tank valve, this will also cause the tank to not flow.

That's exactly it. Make sure to always close the external knob first before you close the internal valve. All you need to do now is to close it one time properly, and then it should work again.

To summarize the -credible- responses. When you're running the standard propane burner, you're dealing with two valves. There's the valve on top of the tank, then there's a valve next to the regulator in the propane line leading to the burner.

What you're doing is engaging a safety feature built in to the current generation of OPD valve tanks. To avoid this, you must proceed as outlined in previous posts.

1. When you start, both valves should be tightly shut.

2. If it isn't on, screw the plastic collar on the propane line onto the tank valve.

3. Open the tank valve completely.

4. Crack the inline valve, light the gas, and adjust to the flame height desired.

To avoid future issues, just develop the habit of completely closing both valves when you're done, and next time remember to open the tank valve first.

Actually, here's how to do it properly.

1. Hook up the regulator to the tank

2. With the appliance valve closed, open the tank vavle slowly.

3. Now open the appliance valve and ignite the burner.

4. To shut down, cloese the tank valve first (this will seem counter intuitive but it's the right way to do it)

5. Lastly, close the appliance valve.

Repeat the same procedure next time. Should you encounter the problem again, close the tank valve and open the appliance valve to equalize the pressure, then begin once again from step one.

There are two safety features built in to the common regulators. One is the overfill protection device inside the tank (I think it also functions as s tip over shut off, but I'm not certain if that was the intent of the design or simply incidental to it). The second safety feature is built into the regulator/connector and is designed to restrict the gas flow in the event of a ruptured or cut gas line. Some gas will often continue to flow, but at a greatly reduced rate. This feature is sometimes referrred to as a an anti-surge valve or surge protection device. Not all connectors/regulators have this feature, but most of the common ones we use do. The ones that do not are colored green and are designed for high flow demand appliances. The common ones are colored black. I am not an expert on this stuff, so as usual, YMMV and proceed at your own peril. Just what I have picked up on over the years. Hope it is of some help. The problems will typically vanish if you adhere to the above. Been there as they say.

4. To shut down, cloese the tank valve first (this will seem counter intuitive but it's the right way to do it)

5. Lastly, close the appliance valve.
Exactly wrong. That's why he's having problems now. First shut off the appliance valve, then shut off the main valve.

Exactly wrong. That's why he's having problems now. First shut off the appliance valve, then shut off the main valve.

I don't recall where I originally got the information I posted, but it's partly reintereated here:

http://www.propane101.com/propanegasgrills.htm

"Shutting the Propane Grill Down - After the grilling is done and the food is ready for serving, it's a good idea to leave the grill on for a short period of time to burn off any left-over meat or grease. This also helps keep the burner openings clear for future grilling. But make sure you set a timer so you don't forget to shut the propane off. When shutting the grill down, it's a good idea to close the cylinder service valve before turning the burner grill knobs to the off position. This ensures there is no gas between the cylinder and the burners when the grill is not in use. Allow the grill to cool adequately before anything over or on it, such as a protective cover."

The OP's problem was likely caused by opening the tank valve quickly with the appliance valve open and the rush of unrestricted gas tripped the surge protection valve. There are two good reasons why to close the tank valve before closing the appliance valve. This procedure relieves the pressure in the gas line and in turn reduces the stress on it when not in use. Secondly, relieving the pressure in the line makes it easier to disconnect the tank if desired. Neither of these issues is a big deal IMO. The important thing iin order to avoid tripping the surge valve is to have the appliance valve closed when opening the tank valve and to open the tank valve slowly in order prevent a rush of gas to fill the line. one other safety thing not often mentioned is to open the tank valve fully when in use. The valves are designed with double seals on the valve stem. IOW, they seal well when fully opened or fully closed and not so well in between. Most BBQ users seldom shut the tank valve after the initial hookup until the tank is empty and it's time to get a refill or exchange. That habit is dangerous. Most of us home brewers hookup for use and disconnect for storage. The hazard for us is where we are storing those tanks. The only really safe place to store them is outdoors and well away from occupied dwellings. Almost nobody I know does that. I'm not an expert on this ****. Just conveying what I've read and I've read it from more than one source and each was providing safety information.

Closing tank valve first and appliance valve last is ABSOLUTELY the safest way.

This insures all gas has been purged from system and burnt where you want it to be burnt.

Closing tank valve first and appliance valve last is ABSOLUTELY the safest way.

This insures all gas has been purged from system and burnt where you want it to be burnt.

Agreed. Always done it this way for that very reason. Catt's method makes more sense.

Close tank valve first. Also, make sure that your grill hose is screwed onto the tank tight. There's some sort of actuator valve that requires the regulator on your grill to press it in when you attach the hose. Screw it all the way down.

Well what really matters is that both valves are closed before he attaches the regulator to his tank.

Yeah because you don't want to risk having one whole cubic centimeter of propane gas between the tank and regulator. The tragedy that is likely to ensue would scare all the children and grandmothers.

;-)

Yeah, I'm not getting it, why are we all talking about the shut down procedure, when the OP is having problems on start up. Just make sure everything is closed before assembly. Open tank valve slowly , then reg valve slowly.

Yeah, I'm not getting it, why are we all talking about the shut down procedure, when the OP is having problems on start up. Just make sure everything is closed before assembly. Open tank valve slowly , then reg valve slowly.

I'm inclined to go with that idea. I've had problems like this in the past, and found that throwing the gas bottle at the dog is not the answer. Especially if the dog is already on fire. :eek:

When I did use propane and had flow issues from opening the valve too fast I still got a weak flame, therefore it still flowed. OP said he gets no flow. Could just be a faulty tank valve. When they did work I never had any problem shutting off either valve first, just the speed at which I opened the tank valve.

When I have this problem, I unscrew the tank valve and then screw it back on, making sure that it is screwed all the way in. This may just be problem with my grill, but it does work. I hope it works for you. Let us know if any of this helps you out.

Back