looking for kegging advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklotz

Reaction score
bottle brushes, uneven carbonation, cleaning, sanitizing, oxidation, empty bottle storage, cleaning labels off... Man, these bottles are going to dive me to drink :drunk: Wait - I already do that. Nevermind.

Seriously, I am considering buying a kegging system. I know absolutely nothing about them, but my local HBS has a one keg, 5# C02 tank and hoses kit for around $200. Additional kegs are $35. Seem like a good deal? What should I look for in a kegging system?

I think I can take a shelf out of the fridge, which should leave room for 2, maybe 3 of them. Any helpful newbie advice would be most appreciated.

Something to consider...

You're going to want to drill through the door in your fridge and install a faucet (something SWMBO might not appreciate). I would suggest looking on craigslist for a chest freezer to convert to a keezer. It's really your best option. If you were thinking of just using a picnic tap, think about how often you have to open your fridge to get a drink. You'll be wasting a lot of energy that way.

The deal at your LHBS sounds reasonable, but you can always get bet deals. 1 keg should cost around $35. I would suggest going to a welding supply store for your CO2 tank; it will be cheaper. Also, hoses can be purchased through McMaster cheaper than any online HBS or LBHS.

Kegging is much easier and less time consuming. I would say go for it!

If you were thinking of just using a picnic tap, think about how often you have to open your fridge to get a drink. You'll be wasting a lot of energy that way.

As opposed to bottles?

Although I do intend on installing taps on my chest freezer some day, I have been using picnic taps for over a year and it is perfectly acceptable.

The $200 for that equipment doesnt seem like too bad of a deal. You could probably find a better deal online, but by the time you add in shipping it is going to be about the same. It will be the best $200 you ever spent.

My kegging kit had two kegs, a 5lb CO2 bottle with a dual regulator, hoses and fittings for $200.

I got it online.

well, out of all the things the gf would like for me to be doing differently, cutting up the fridge with a drill and hack saw is probably not one of them. She already thinks I'm a little crazy for not just going out to buy a 6 pack instead of all this brewing craziness. I think I'm basically screwed when it comes to altering the house any more than I already have in the name of brewing, unless, of course, you guys plan to be around to console me when she moves out :tank:

So yes, a keg or 2 in an unmodified fridge is about all I'll be able to swing now. Anything special I should look for? Any particular type of keg or C02 canister? Or should I just head over and have the store set me up with what they have?

CO2 is CO2, like I said, look in the yellow pages under welding and see what they can do for you. I got a 5lb. tank for $90.

This is the set up I bought nearly a year ago:
2 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Dispenses two kegs at once! (Separate Check Valves!)

I bought an extra keg with it. Then, later, 4 more kegs. I'm planning on drilling my fridge sometime, but I've been using the system just like pictured for nearly a year. I love it- and it fits in my apartment sized fridge. (That fridge is about a 3/4 size fridge- only 2 kegs and the co2 tank fit in it).

This is the set up I bought nearly a year ago:
2 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Dispenses two kegs at once! (Separate Check Valves!)

I bought an extra keg with it. Then, later, 4 more kegs. I'm planning on drilling my fridge sometime, but I've been using the system just like pictured for nearly a year. I love it- and it fits in my apartment sized fridge. (That fridge is about a 3/4 size fridge- only 2 kegs and the co2 tank fit in it).

Mine is almost like that, but has the dual regulator, so I can have two pressures at once. Nice, big knobs on the regulators, instead of screws, too.

Cpt_Kirks, do you find that having 2 different pressures at once is a big benefit? Is it normal to have different pressures going to each one?

Oh, and thanks for all your help with this guys!

two pressures is handy - I have one set to carb and one set to serve a lot of times.

Cpt_Kirks, do you find that having 2 different pressures at once is a big benefit? Is it normal to have different pressures going to each one?

Oh, and thanks for all your help with this guys!

As already mentioned, you can carb at 30 and serve at about 12, at the same time.

It's not mandatory or anything, but I liked it enough to buy the kit.

Cool, thanks! Anything else I need? new o-rings, o-ring lube? Anything that doesn't already come with the kit?

Back