Good chance you'll see Brewtopia here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's right in his wheel house.

May 9–until the beer runs dry - Brouwer’s Café in Seattle will be featuring their 1st Annual Sour Beer Festival. This promises to be a real mouth puckering event. They will have between 25 and 30 different sour beers on draft and will also release a bunch of vintage Cantillon bottles that have been cellaring. Some of the highlights on draft will be multiple Cantillons, Russian River / Bottleworks 9 Deviation, New Belgium la Folie, Eric's Ale, La Terroir, La Terroir Foeder #3, a special beer made for the Toronado’s 20th anniversary, two versions of Boons Mariage Parfait brewed on the same day and then aged in diferrent barrels, Ommegang Ommegedon, Walkingman Bloot Voeste Bruin which is a brown soured with the kambucha mushroom, Rodenbach Grand Cru, and a handful of old favorites and some surprises. This won’t be for the faint of heart. For more information www.brouwerscafe.com, or call 206-267-2437.

I was at Brouwer's last weekend testing my palette for the sours - had a Duchesse de Bourgogne Sour Red - great cherry flavors but a little too vinegar-ish for my taste. Will be going tonight and giving it a shot - maybe I will find the perfect sour balance.

Any suggestions or must tries from the sour fans?

"Walkingman Bloot Voeste Bruin which is a brown soured with the kambucha mushroom"

I wonder where they got that idea, pretty sure Mike T came up with it on his own. Of course they may both have come up with it seperately. Hopefully Brewtopia will taste this one, and here's the key - be able to remember what it tastes like the next day ;)

EDIT> ACCORDING TO APPELATION BEER THEY'VE BEEN DOING THIS SINCE '06 ?!?! I've never heard of this beer, weird.

Originally posted by landhoney
"Walkingman Bloot Voeste Bruin which is a brown soured with the kambucha mushroom"

I wonder where they got that idea, pretty sure Mike T came up with it on his own. Of course they may both have come up with it seperately. Hopefully Brewtopia will taste this one, and here's the key - be able to remember what it tastes like the next day

EDIT> ACCORDING TO APPELATION BEER THEY'VE BEEN DOING THIS SINCE '06 ?!?! I've never heard of this beer, weird.

Oh, I remember what it tastes like. It was actually kind of weird. A bit of cinnamon in the nose but the flavor was quite acidic with some subtle spiciness. Reminded me a bit of Worchestershire sauce when it warmed. I really didn't care for it. I've had the Bloot Voeste Bruin in the past but always thought it was soured strictly by the addition of Brett. I don't remember it tasting anything like this.

Guess I'll have to go back tomorrow and try another round to make sure.

I'm sure that I had every beer on the list tonight. I sat at the bar for 7.5 hours. :rockin:

Eric Salazar from New Belgium showed up (La Terroir and Lips of Faith). I ordered a bottle of the La Folie - Falling Rock 10th Anniversary beer and he came over and told me that he had them put the bottle on his tab. Very cool! :mug:

What a night. I'll be back before the weekend is over most definitely.

Don't grumble to me. I'm sure there's a direct flight from Phoenix to Seattle. And I'll even pick you up from the airport. :D

SOB - I couldn't make it today - got stuck working. Thanks for the tips - will try tomorrow, maybe take my Mom.:D.

Brewtopia - you are one lucky guy - I was really looking forward to popping my sour ale cherry this weekend.

Back