Question about transfering mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So one of my friend and I made 2 5 gallon batches of mead and we've kept it at his place. Well he has to move soon so the mead has to move too and Ill be taking off his hands for awhile, and I know for the most part that while it is in primary and secondary fermentation that you pretty much just leave it alone and not shake it and let it do its thing. The meads have both been in primary for about a month or so now. Well seeing as how is moving, my question is how badly is it going to affect the mead if im put it in my car and transfer it to my house? It is obviously is going to be swirling around on the drive there and what not, so how badly is this going to affect the final product seeing how it will be shaken up a bit.

Thank you! Any help or advice is appreciated.

Ah don't worry about it. As long as the carboy is toped up and there is not a lot of head space you should not notice anything.

I'd have thought the biggest hazard would be that the movement would disturb the sediment enough to produce the nucleation point for the dissolved CO2 to come out as gaseous CO2.......

So it'd be a case of managing the gas release i.e. do you just leave the airlock as is ? or some sort of blow off tube arrangement ? or even stopper it and try to wire it on and just release any pressure after its settled down at your place (it might just erupt like hell at that stage...)?

fatbloke said:
I'd have thought the biggest hazard would be that the movement would disturb the sediment enough to produce the nucleation point for the dissolved CO2 to come out as gaseous CO2.......

So it'd be a case of managing the gas release i.e. do you just leave the airlock as is ? or some sort of blow off tube arrangement ? or even stopper it and try to wire it on and just release any pressure after its settled down at your place (it might just erupt like hell at that stage...)?

To your point FB, he may want to consider some method of forced degassing preemptively to avoid an explosion.

To your point FB, he may want to consider some method of forced degassing preemptively to avoid an explosion.
I'd have stirred/aerated before making the trip anyway. As it would be common sense to reduce the likelihood of foaming/eruption IMO. The use of just a normal airlock or even improvised blow off tube just allows for any further gassing as the trip progresses......

Back