My Apple Cider is not clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
So I made my Apfelwein last time and never make the exact same recipe twice, so I decided to do a twist on it. Made it with:

5 gallons juice
2 lbs sugar (dextrose)
4 cans concentrate
WLP300 with starter

Been going about 2 months and then transferred to secondary because it was REALLY hazy. It never cleared and is super cloudy. Looks like the Apfelwein did before it was done. Took a sip and it tastes like fermented apple juice. Kind of a sweet tangy taste. Not like good cider or wine. I have heard a binch of people saying they have used the WLP300 without it being too cloudy and tasting more sweet then dry and was going for that. What now?

O...btw the stuff is done fermenting -- took an FG and it was where it should be (not sure what it was, I'm at work right now).

What temperature did you ferment at? Colder temps will cause cider to take a little longer to ferment and clear. If you are in a hurry to have it done, you could try crash cooling it. Rack it and put it in the back of the fridge for a week.

I dont have a lot of experience with Cider, but I keep reading about adding pectic enzyme... some are for it and some are against it....

Given that it's a hefe strain that is probably one of the lowest flocculating available, it is going to be a very long time in cold storage to get that yeast to drop out. If you have a cold (50 ish) basement just set it in there and forget about it for a few months.

So I bottled it and it is super vinegary. Burns the throat as it goes down. I hate to ask the question...but is it going to mellow, or is it a dumper? I liked the batch with Cotes better.....so I guess I'll stick to that next time. I was hoping from others posts that this would take less time. The Cotes batch took over a month to clear. This one never did after 3 months with WLP300. Guess it took more time after all.

Doesn't vinegary indicate an infection? In that case, it might be worth it to give the yeast another try. That is, it might turn out really good if it doesn't get infected.

As for the cloudiness, you could try some clearing agent (pectin enzyme, sparkolloid, isinglass, etc). I'm making some apfelwein with a hefe yeast and am considering using sparkolloid in it, if it doesn't clear by the 4 week mark.

my cider never cleared. I never added concentrate though. It was suuuuper tart as I kegged it. 1 week later I poured a glass after I had force carbed it and it had cleared considerably. Its also much sweeter too.

Back