Stir Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received mine and it seems like a solid bit of equipment, especially at the price point. And it comes with a lifetime warranty, so that's nice. I ordered mine through his eBay store and I got a shipment notice within hours (!) of submitting payment and received the box 3 days later. I haven't made a starter yet, but I did of course immediately test it with plain water and it took about 1/4 second for me to get it running correctly with a nice vortex.

Looks like a weiner to me:D Seriously, the guy is an engineer and offers a lifetime warranty? Looks like the real deal. Where else you going to find that! As soon as I have the cash I'll order one, but for now I can order ingredients to brew and do the intermittent shake/stir, or I can get a plate. For now it's shake it baby, shake it:ban:

So is the builder a member on here? My next two brews I'm going to be using dry yeast, but I'll probably pick one of these up after that.

Its really irrelevant to me if he's a member on here, I'm just curious.

I recently got one. There was a bit of a mixup with Paypal giving the vendor my old shipping address despite me verifying the correct address three times, and getting a confirmation email from paypal with the right one. It was extremely frustrating, but completely not the shipper's fault, and he went out of his way trying to get things fixed ASAP. So, from that point of view his customer service was awesome.

I've have made 3 starters with it so far. It's worked great for me.

I just want to add my two cents. it works great and had insanely fast shipping and the cheapest price on the internet. I cant recommend this guy enough.

I just bought one of these and would like to say I'm extremely happy with it so far as well. Not only is it the cheapest stir plate I've seen online or in a retail store, but the lifetime repair or replacement guarantee is priceless. It shipped ridiculously fast and arrived in clean, professional-looking packaging with great instructions, and even little things like the handwritten date of sale and my name on the package ... GREAT attention to detail. You just don't get that level of confidence as a consumer much anymore.

Dan - If you read this, thanks.

I've had mine for a couple of months and its been great. Can't beat the price and warranty.

Great product! I just got mine over the weekend. Product with expedited shipping = $42. Great packaging, great attention to detail (there was a sheet of foam to keep the catch magnets from moving during shipping. Make sure you take this out before turning on, I imagine it would cause some damage). Haven't made a starter yet, but I did get a great vortex in 2L of water in a flask.

I have read other DIY builds on here, and the cost of the materials would be over $40 before shipping from Amazon.

I would highly recommend!

So when after I pitch the yeast into the wort in the flask, I stir for a bit, and then do I put a stopper/airlock on for 24-36 hours? Or do I just put tin foil and let sit for the same time? I made my first yeast starter last night and have the airlock on, but if I were to get a stir plate I don't know if that changes any of the process after the yeast is pitched.

This looks like a nice bargain and may be worth a purchase. Its up to $45 now, but still seems like a good deal.

dont put a stopper on it as the c02 will have no place to go. you need to use either a foam stopper that will let air out (but not let dust in) or just loose tinfoil over the top. I use tinfoil with an elastic band. If you don't have a sir plate try to stir it as much as possible. Before I got mine I would just watch TV and stir it every few minutes. You want to do that to keep the yeast in suspension and also to release the c02 from the liquid which can impede yeast growth. if you just let it sit, it will still grow yeast, jsut not nearly as much as if you were constantly stirring it. Mrmalty.com has a calculator on how much yeast is made from different scenarios.

I would definitely by the stir plate from this guy. It works great and is the best price on the internet.

My mistake on the clarity of my question. I don't use an undrilled stopper. I meant the airlock which goes into a drilled stopper. So I could continue to use that even if I get a stir plate? I also have a couple foam stoppers, so I guess I could use those instead and save buying a drilled stopper (need a new one that fits better).

Ordered it Thursday night and it got to Colorado today, man that was fast shipping, I could not be happier with the quality and the fit and finish. It is working on my Irish ale yeast right now and seems to be running well. Dan was quick and this is maybe one of the best investments I have made. Not only that but his price for a 2000ml flask was about $10 less than my LHBS.

Back