OG way off!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg1414

Reaction score
I just made a IIPA, recipe is below. My target OG was 1.084. I read 1.060 on my hydrometer. With 10.5lb+ of extract and sugar is this even possible. Top of was 5.25 gallons. I was reading some other boards about not mixing up enough with solids settling ect. I put it in 6.5gal carboy for primary and it was hard to get a sample out. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks

3.3*lb (31.3%) Liquid Light - added during boil, boiled 60*m[/size]
2*oz (15.4%) Apollo (19.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30*m[/size]
6.25*lb (59.2%) Dry Light - added during boil, boiled 5*m[/size]
1*lb (9.5%) Corn Sugar - added during boil, boiled 5*m[/size]
1*oz (7.7%) Cascade (7.9%) - added during boil, boiled 1*m[/size]
1*oz (7.7%) Simcoe® (14.6%) - added during boil, boiled 1*m
1*oz (7.7%) Apollo (19.0%) - added during boil, boiled 1*m
1*oz (7.7%) Cascade (7.9%) - added after boil, steeped 30*m
1*oz (7.7%) Simcoe® (14.1%) - added after boil, steeped 30*m
1*oz (7.7%) Citra™ (15.6%) - added after boil, steeped 30*m
1*oz (7.7%) Apollo (19.0%) - added dry to primary fermenter
1.0*oz (7.7%) Simcoe® (14.1%) - added dry to primary fermenter
1*oz (7.7%) Citra™ (15.6%) - added dry to primary fermenter
1.0*oz (7.7%) Cascade (7.9%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0*oz (7.7%) Simcoe® (14.1%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.0*ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Either you didn't adjust the reading for temperature and the wort was hot, the wort stratified in density and gave you a false reading, or it really is that low.

I think it was at 81 degrees. Whst does stratified mean. It's fermenting like a mofo.

ForumRunner_20130220_074923.png

Stratified means layers. He means that maybe you didn't get wort & top off water mixed thoroughly,giving a false lower reading.

Ah I see. Yeah I usually do primary in bucket and can get a sample easy with my dropper. In a carboy my dropper isn't long enough so I just siphoned a tad but I don't think I got the hose in very far which could explain it. If it is that low is there any explanation with that much extract and sugar used? Do hops retain sugar or just water? there was 10.5 lb's put in!

No,hops can't effect specific gravity by sucking up sugars. Was the sugar in the boil? Or did you add it to primary? How much water for recipe vs actual?

I added the liquid extract at beginning of boil. The DME and Corn sugar was added at flameout. The recipe was for 5.25 gal and I'm right at that

Back