Fat Squirrel Satay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madtown Brew

Reaction score
This is pretty OT, but I tought I'd put it here instead of starting a new thread in the correct section.

I found a old newspaper article with a recipe for a grill baste made with Fat Squirrel. Apparantly the recipe is part of the book "Grilling With Beer: Bastes, BBQ sauces, Mops, Marinades and More Made with Craft Beer," by Lucy Saunders.

Fat Squirrel Satay Baste

2 teaspoons yellow thai curry paste
1 teaspoon grated ginger
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 C creamy peanut butter (natural ground is best)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 oz. coconut milk
4 oz. Fat Squirrel nut brown ale

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer on low heat until peanut butter is melted. remove from heat and allow to cool until lukewarm. If necessary, pureee in a blender on high until smooth. Use immediatly.

*article was printed in the Wisconsin State Journal on 6/22/07

I haven't tried it myself but it looks pretty yummy. A bit late for the grilling season though.

Madtown Brew said:
This is pretty OT, but I tought I'd put it here instead of starting a new thread in the correct section.

I found a old newspaper article with a recipe for a grill baste made with Fat Squirrel. Apparantly the recipe is part of the book "Grilling With Beer: Bastes, BBQ sauces, Mops, Marinades and More Made with Craft Beer," by Lucy Saunders.

Fat Squirrel Satay Baste

1 teaspoon grated ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 oz. coconut milk

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer on low heat until peanut butter is melted. remove from heat and allow to cool until lukewarm. If necessary, pureee in a blender on high until smooth. Use immediatly.

*article was printed in the Wisconsin State Journal on 6/22/07

I haven't tried it myself but it looks pretty yummy. A bit late for the grilling season though.

Wow- this is great! I just had my husband take a look- and we have ALL those ingredients at home right now. This looks awesome!

Thanks!

Madtown Brew said:
A bit late for the grilling season though.

Huh???? You live in Wisconsin, for crying out loud!!!! Where we tailgate at Lambeau in January!!!! My friend, it is ALWAYS grilling season.:rockin:

Bernie Brewer said:
Huh???? You live in Wisconsin, for crying out loud!!!! Where we tailgate at Lambeau in January!!!! My friend, it is ALWAYS grilling season.:rockin:

You southerners better not wimp out, for crying out loud.

We Yoopers up in da nort grill even when it gets cold. It isn't cold yet, only 15 below this morning. So, get grilling!

Hey! I have that book. The author was signing copies at the NHBC last June. I think I'll try that one. I will be using a different nut brown in it though because I doubt I can find Fat Squirrel.

RichBrewer said:
Hey! I have that book. The author was signing copies at the NHBC last June. I think I'll try that one. I will be using a different nut brown in it though because I doubt I can find Fat Squirrel.

I'm sending you some FS when I get the beers together for you. New Glarus beers are great, so let me know if there are any other kinds that look good to you. I like Road Slush, which is a nice oatmeal stout. If you're not into stouts, though, I'll put together some others. Just let me know!

Yooper Brewmistress said:
I'm sending you some FS when I get the beers together for you. New Glarus beers are great, so let me know if there are any other kinds that look good to you. I like Road Slush, which is a nice oatmeal stout. If you're not into stouts, though, I'll put together some others. Just let me know!

+1. I hate stouts, but Road Slush is awesome. Maybe it is because it is an Oatmeal Stout, and that cuts the roasted flavor just enough. Road Slush- Excellent beer!

Yooper Brewmistress said:
That would be great! :ban:
Those all sound awesome! I definately trust your jugement!

Hey Yoops, why don't you get him a holiday pack??? A little of everything, and already packaged for travel. Just a thought............

Bernie Brewer said:
Hey Yoops, why don't you get him a holiday pack??? A little of everything, and already packaged for travel. Just a thought............

If the store I go to has it, that's a great idea!
I'd also like to get some Lakefront, Sprecher, and/or Capital, too.

Ok, I decided to open a new thread in this area because I tried the Fat Squirrel satay from the recipe section. The other replies are in this thread.

I do have to say, though, that we made some modifications to that recipe. The first was no Fat Squirell, so I used my own brown ale. The second modifications is kind of strange- Bob didn't feel like grilling and neither did I, so we used this as a sauce with a stir fry type meal. Also, no chicken, but tempeh instead. So, it was a tempeh stir fry with this as its curry sauce.

It was excellent! The tempeh was cut into chunks and browned and then the veggies added. Then when it was done, the sauce was added and served over brown rice/brown rice. So, totally different, but kind of the same.

Madtown Brew said:
Fat Squirrel Satay Baste

1 teaspoon grated ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 oz. coconut milk

I'm SO glad to learn that "Fat Squirrel" is a beer, and the recipe is for a sauce! When I first saw the subject, I was picturing long strips of fatty squirrel meat on wooden skewers!

BlindLemonLars said:
I'm SO glad to learn that "Fat Squirrel" is a beer, and the recipe is for a sauce! When I first saw the subject, I was picturing long strips of fatty squirrel meat on wooden skewers!

Well, I'm a real Yooper but it's been ages since I've skewered and grill a squirrel!

Back