Apple cider with real apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fauxtoe

Reaction score
I keep reading many recipes and techniques about making cider from store bought juice/cider. Is it any different to make it with apple juice you get from running a lot apples through a juicer?

nope basically the same however you may want to pasteurize or use campden tablets to do away with any organisms already on the apples, also remember it takes about 14 pounds of apples to make 1 gallon of juice.

That 14lb bit is a helpful starting point! I'll be trying one gallon and using the tablets. Will post details in a few months if all goes well.

Clearing pressed juice is also more difficult. Use of pectic enzyme is practically mandatory. Fermentation is the same however. The end result is much better with imo, more body and complexity since your have complete control over your juice blend.

It can be a lot of work. Takes me about 2 hrs of work to fill a 5 gallon carboy without counting cleanup, lots of cleanup. After juicing I strain through a tightly woven nylon pressing bag to remove even more solids. Even with pretty high yields (75% by weight is average for me) it ends up being more expensive than buying juice. Buts it's very worth it.

LeBreton said:
It can be a lot of work.... it ends up being more expensive than buying juice. Buts it's very worth it.

+1 to this. Find a local orchard and you can get their fresh pressed juice for about 2.50-3.00 a gallon. 14 lbs of apples at my local upick would run 75c a pound on sale. Thats like $10 a gallon and that's with you doing all the work.

I've done both and I can't tell the difference between self pressed and orchard pressed juice in the end product.

If the juice I get from the orchard is pasteurized, do I still need campden tablets? Is there a formula for how many tablets to gallons?

I never use them. If the starting juice is pasteurized and unopened than you are good to go. If the juice was unpasteurized I would pasteurize it and then brew it to eliminate the need for campden.

if you know the farm ask him to do a special pressing unpasteurized. I've known my local orchard farm for many years, he even does the last pressing of the season for me using only granny smiths. Wow, divi that's a good price, i've been getting charged 5.75/gal.

I'min the peoples' republic of Canada and I have paid 3.78 a gallon up to 4.78 a gallon. The most I've paid is in a grocery store 6$ canadian a half gallon for organic cider.

Back