First Time Using Campden tablet question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffin

Reaction score
Okay so I usually pre-boil a few gallons of water, then later boil a few gallons to use for the wort (for all extract brew), add them together in the fermenter. I had noticed the plastic/band-aid taste in my previous brews and so now I want to try to remove the chlorine/chloramine in my water for future brews.

So today I crushed a 1/4 campden tablet and added it to 3 gallons of water and turned on the heat. I noticed later some bubbles/suds on the top of the water as it heated, now at full boil i have alot of foam on the top of the water. This never happened before, no difference in anything else other than adding this campden tablet.

My question is - anyone else see this, is it normal? The foam suds are white, slightly yellow in some places.

I have been pre-boiling all my water I brew with, rather than use it straight from the tap. So when you say you just drop it in, what water do you start with?

I have been pre-boiling all my water I brew with, rather than use it straight from the tap. So when you say you just drop it in, what water do you start with?

Why are you preboiling your water? If it's to drive off chlorine, then the campden will handle that for you.

I never preboil any of my water. My tap water is safe to drink.

I figured it was to minimize nasty stuff living in the fermenter, other than the yeast. Palmer's crash course talks about pre-boiling all the water http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter1-1.html, I figured you had to. Once I get rid of this chlorine issue I'll have to brew an experiment with no pre-boiled water.

If it's chlorine you have, and you're preboiling, the campden is redundant. However, the campden will also get rid of chloramines in water. so if your water department uses chloramines, the campden will take care of it as chloramines don't boil off. At least, they don't boil off in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm not sure why the campden here AND the boiling, so I'm very confused! :drunk:

Palmer's online book does talk about boiling the top off water, maybe to eliminate chlorine?, but it's not needed especially if you're using campden tablets. Nothing "magical" happens in the boiling of the water, except the chlorine will boil off and any contaminants will be neutralized. It doesn't do a thing for the sanitizing of equipment. Since I don't have chlorine in my water, and the water doesn't have contamination issues, I never boiled any of my top-off water. The campden will get rid of any chlorine/chloramine.

Do I understand correctly in that you use the second amount of boiled water for topping off your fermenter? You use some water, along with your extract, for the boil, then top off with the rest of your boiled water? I would think that the water coming out of your tap would be fairly sanitary, given the chlorine in it. Why not just add the campden to get rid of that right before you mix the wort and the topoff water? If I am misunderstanding your process, please forgive me.

Then again, I don't know if tapwater can sometimes come out of the tap with certain bacteria that will inhibit yeast reproduction, so maybe some form of sanitation is required. If this is the case, you might try putting all the campden in the wort, and then let it mix in and take care of the rest of the chloramine in the fermenter. I don't have much experience, so maybe this won't work. Just trying to throw out ideas. Does boiling the wort do anything to reduce the efficacy of the campden, so that it will not work post-boil when mixed with chlorinated water?

To answer one of the above questions, yes I pre-boil the water used for top off in the fermenter. I boil it to make sure there's no bacteria in it.

An update to my first use of campden tablet: I pitched yesterday around 3:30pm. Usually I've got pretty good bubble activity about 8-12 hours after pitching in every other batch I've done. This time, not so much. Only difference this time is using 1/4 tablet in my 3 gallons of wort, 1/4 tablet in my 3 gallons of top off. I also use my top-off water to rehydrate the yeast, BTW.

I understand my campden dosage is slightly higher than necessary (for the 1 tablet per 20 gallon rule) but I had read other posts about people using 1/2 to whole tablets per 5 gallons.

I'm guessing my slow start of fermentation is due to the use of these campdens. Only other variable that's new with this batch is use of a whirfloc tablet in the last 15 minutes of boil.

I do have a "weak" bubble activity now at the 24+ hour mark, but this morning when I got up and checked it, the water in the airlock indicated a loss of pressure in the fermenter! (from the cool down overnight). I've never had that happen before!

Anyone else notice a slower apparent reproduction rate of yeast after pitching as this??

To answer one of the above questions, yes I pre-boil the water used for top off in the fermenter. I boil it to make sure there's no bacteria in it.

An update to my first use of campden tablet: I pitched yesterday around 3:30pm. Usually I've got pretty good bubble activity about 8-12 hours after pitching in every other batch I've done. This time, not so much. Only difference this time is using 1/4 tablet in my 3 gallons of wort, 1/4 tablet in my 3 gallons of top off. I also use my top-off water to rehydrate the yeast, BTW.

I understand my campden dosage is slightly higher than necessary (for the 1 tablet per 20 gallon rule) but I had read other posts about people using 1/2 to whole tablets per 5 gallons.

I'm guessing my slow start of fermentation is due to the use of these campdens. Only other variable that's new with this batch is use of a whirfloc tablet in the last 15 minutes of boil.

I do have a "weak" bubble activity now at the 24+ hour mark, but this morning when I got up and checked it, the water in the airlock indicated a loss of pressure in the fermenter! (from the cool down overnight). I've never had that happen before!

Anyone else notice a slower apparent reproduction rate of yeast after pitching as this??

Well, campden is potassium metabisulfite, which is an antimicrobial. I still say it's silly to both boil and add campden, because it's redundant. Campden kills wild yeast, bacteria, fungi, etc. It also acts as an antioxidant, and it interacts with chlorine to make it dissipate. That's why winemakers use it and love it. It kills critters in the must, so you can pitch your chosen yeast in a sanitized must. Winemakers wait 24 hours after adding campden before pitching the yeast, but it's a bigger dosage than you used.

But, in this case, you went over the dosage recommended. Normally you add 1/2 campden tablet to 10 gallons of brewing water, stir well, and let it sit out to dissipate. I'm not sure what boiling the sulfites will do, but it probably didn't all dissipate.

It sounds like you've pitched too warm, let it cool, added way too much sulfite, added sulfites to the rehydrating water for the yeast (OUCH!), etc. So, I'd say that you've stressed your yeast for sure. The good news is that yeast is pretty resilient and if it continues to ferment for you, you should be all set. I'm not sure what kind of off-flavors, if any, those factors will all produce, but it might be perfectly fine in the end.

How do you do it Yoops? Other than lowering my concentration of campden, what else would I do better? The concentration of K-metabisulfites would be the same in the wort as it was in the re-hydration solution. My wort wasn't too hot when I pitched, it was sub 75. My comment about the negative pressure was simply I think the delta T overnight moving it to the basement without any yeast reproducing and gettin' busy.

Other people use campdens, what's a typical light off time for the yeast using all extract and dry yeast (safale '05 or '06 i don't remember off the top of my head, 11g though).

Just an update - I just cracked open a bottle of brew that I made using the campden tablet for this batch, same taste. I guess I'm switching to spring water.

Back