15+ gallon plastic fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmmbeer

Reaction score
I was watching a youtube video a few weeks ago and saw someone with a 15 gallon plastic fermenter with a screw cap and all on it but can't find the video again to ask him where he got it. Does anyone know where I can get such a thing? It just seemed like the perfect item to bulk ferment my all grain beer. I've seen people split their 15 gallon batches in three 5 gallon carboys and the colors were all different and I'm not a fan of that idea.
Thanks for any help.

scary to think what they were "used" for.

I seem to remember the guy on the Youtube video I was watching say it was a bulk shipping container for grain... worth asking my LHBS if they get any o them... then I know the history of the container.

0177519.jpg
Seems to be a bit better. I've got a couple different sizes. Not sure what grade that blue one is you linked, but these are made for wine.

BrewForMe said:
I believe those are the containers that hold bulk Liquid Malt Extract.:ban:

Someone is know brews with those, he got them from his lhbs in texas. They also sell them online. He knows that his were used for LME, I would call and ask a supplier before ordering though. He swears by them though

Malt Extract is sold in 15 gallon drums and many of the LBHS stores will sell the empty polypropylene containers. They make great fermenter for 10 gallon batches.

10GallonFermenter.jpg

Getting more and more disappointed with my LHBS. I've called today for 3 things (this, grapes or where I can buy wine grapes, and where I might be able to buy 15.5 gal kegs) and they don't have them nor do they know where I can get them... They are only a year old but still, come on, this is simple stuff here. The hunt for a new LHBS is on, last time I looked for one I couldn't find the store even with my GPS and directions online. Wish me luck.

Briess ships LME in them. They're graduated to 15g, but will hold closer to 18g. I got two from different LHBSs and both were free. The smaller bung hole takes a size 6 stopper if I remember correctly. I've brewed a ton of batches in them and love'em. They are surprisingly easy to clean and sanitize. I make 12 gallon batches and if I dry hop, I have 6.5g carboys to split the batch into.

edit: The first starter is free, I just poured hot water in the barrel and shook it around, then poured it out into a pot to boil.

I make starters from the left overs too. They work as fermenters but can be akward to use when full. I have some I want to sell.

Bumping this thread b/c I got a hold of two of the blue LME containers and wanted to see how people are siphoning their fermented beer out of these things. Are you all using just some long tubing? Obviously my auto siphon won't work. Also, I like to harvest my yeast and I would love to know how people who ferment in these get their yeast out. Do you just pour some boiled and cooled water into one of the hole, slosh it around and then dump into a smaller bucket?

I have found that temp control is essential with the mass of these barrels. I use a large chest freezer w/Johnson control as my ferm chamber. A bottling bucket spigot works quite nicely on the smaller bung hole. I attack a blowoff tube to the spigot during fermentation. After a good cold crash, I attack a sanitized tube to the spigot and essentially pour the beer into my kegs. The cold crash leaves the yeast cake nicely compact and with a gentle tip the cake stays intact. The distance of the bung from the sidewall also helps to keep the yeast and trub from draining.

I have found that temp control is essential with the mass of these barrels. I use a large chest freezer w/Johnson control as my ferm chamber. A bottling bucket spigot works quite nicely on the smaller bung hole. I attack a blowoff tube to the spigot during fermentation. After a good cold crash, I attack a sanitized tube to the spigot and essentially pour the beer into my kegs. The cold crash leaves the yeast cake nicely compact and with a gentle tip the cake stays intact. The distance of the bung from the sidewall also helps to keep the yeast and trub from draining.

Thanks for the update! Could you post a picture or two of your set up? Do you stand the barrel up vertically or do you let it lie on the ground horizontally? Or maybe you ferment vertically and then lay the barrel flat in order to drain out the beer while keeping trub and yeast behind?

Anyone else have any good tips for siphoning?

bizarrojosh said:
Obviously my auto siphon won't work. Also, I like to harvest my yeast and I would love to know how people who ferment in these get their yeast out. Do you just pour some boiled and cooled water into one of the hole, slosh it around and then dump into a smaller bucket?

I use my auto siphon on this when I do big batches, no problem. If you're nervous about the depth, put some fishing line around it and tie it to the handle on top of the LME container/fermenter.

And yes to the yeast washing--that's how I do it.

I use my auto siphon on this when I do big batches, no problem. If you're nervous about the depth, put some fishing line around it and tie it to the handle on top of the LME container/fermenter.

And yes to the yeast washing--that's how I do it.

So you just start the flow and drop it to the bottom?

Getting more and more disappointed with my LHBS. I've called today for 3 things (this, grapes or where I can buy wine grapes, and where I might be able to buy 15.5 gal kegs) and they don't have them nor do they know where I can get them... They are only a year old but still, come on, this is simple stuff here. The hunt for a new LHBS is on, last time I looked for one I couldn't find the store even with my GPS and directions online. Wish me luck.

Here's a great source for high quality frozen grape must: www.brehmvineyards.com
I'm able to get fresh grapes from them due to my location but I have used their frozen and they are outstanding grapes.

What a great idea!
I'm thinking these could be set upon a barrel rack with a bottling spigot in the smaller bung, and perhaps cut a #5/6 hole for an airlock in the center side? Mimicking a wine barrel sorta...
Then when it's time to rack just attach your sanitized hose, loosen the cap a lil and fill your kegs or bottles. Does this sound crazy? Cause thats maybe what I'd do.
Then rinse your yeast as normal but run it through your sanitized hose into whatever, instead of trying to pour it everywhere.
Anyone try this?

What a great idea!
I'm thinking these could be set upon a barrel rack with a bottling spigot in the smaller bung, and perhaps cut a #5/6 hole for an airlock in the center side? Mimicking a wine barrel sorta...
Then when it's time to rack just attach your sanitized hose, loosen the cap a lil and fill your kegs or bottles. Does this sound crazy? Cause thats maybe what I'd do.
Then rinse your yeast as normal but run it through your sanitized hose into whatever, instead of trying to pour it everywhere.
Anyone try this?

I'm not sure about how much beer one would lose if one did this though. The holes are a bit high and lots of beer might be left behind. Again I don't know. Thoughts?

Has anyone tried mashing in them? Interested in making a mash tun out of one I picked up but want to make sure the plastic is heat/acid resistant.

Heat I can understand, but what's the point behind being acid resistant? Been watching too much Walter White?

I managed to get my hands on one of these from a friend for $10. When I mentioned turning it into a mash tun to the proprietor of my LHBS he mentioned making sure the plastic was safe and heat/acid resistant. Apparently plastic milk jugs are food safe but if you ferment in them you get weird off flavors. Regardless I don't speak from experience, I just want to make sure I don't poison myself with a cheap mash tun project.

But from your response are you thinking that this is heat resistant?

Latest posts

Back