Good mead making book, and acids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good mead-making book? I've seen one by Ken Schramm (I think).

Also, what is commonly used to acidify a mead if necessary, and when do I add it?

I'm a bout 2 weeks in, I think, and getting close to taking my first gravity reading. The airlock bubbled steady for almost this whole time, but seems to be tapering off recently.

Ken Schramm's book is the only book I've read that is worth anything. It's good because it's a great book. Gotmead.com and Hightest's posts/stickeys are the only other places I would recomend for information.

I've used the acid blends, but I've stopped. I really haven't found that my meads need it. If you're going to use them, do it after fermentation. If you're going to bulk age, I'd do that for a while too.

That book is on my X-mas list. And I knew about adding acid after fermentation, but couldn't remember what kind to use. Doesn't matter now, I didn't end up going to LHBS like I thought. I do plan to bulk age.

Thinking about racking some into a gallon jug or two and the rest into a 2.5 gallon carboy. That way I can flavor some with Bourbon and some other with something else like vanilla or whatever.

Ken's book is indeed THE printed resource on mead making, hands down.

do follow up on some of the more recent NHC info on staggered nutrients, degassing, and narbonde 71-B yeast

Latest posts

Back